Layout scaling

Seth385

Hello,

I don't know how to plot/scale from layout. I have drawing in model that wont show in layout. Drawing is in scale 1:1 in mm. i have to plot it on 36" paper in scale 1:500. I saw someone scaling it with commands something like, z-s-1xp, an ucs. Please help, thank you. Drawing with inner frame is in attachment if it helps.

You're using a 2011 product so there is really no reason to be using the Zoom command and the nXP scale factor method when you can easily assign viewport scales via Properties or by right-clicking on the viewport frame and selecting an appropriate scale.

If the model space objects don't show up in the viewport of your layout first try making the viewport active and issuing a Zoom > Extents. Do the model space objects appear or not?

Objects in model do appear, I am using acad 2007. Can you explain a bit more using viewports. Sorry there is no attachment its too big

A viewport in a paper space layout is just a window that allows us to see the objects we created back in model space. The beauty of using viewports is the exact same geometry can be shown in multiple viewports at different scales. Scales are assigned to the viewports themselves that's why the new method being put forth is one should always draw all objects in model space at FULL size.

Viewports should be placed on their own layer and set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Viewports, once assigned a scale, should have their display locked so when working inside the viewport (in model space) one does not inadvertently change the viewport scale.

You can have up to a max of 64 active viewports in a layout. The system variable MAXACTIVEVP controls this (the default is 16).

I believe the one thing that throws most new users concerning viewports is that they want to put their dimensions and text in model space which is perfectly acceptable but the correct way of doing so is to use a feature called Annotative Scaling. This feature allows the text/dimensions to all be printed at the correct size even when the same objects appear in different viewports that have different scales. Text and dimensions, as well as blocks and hatches, can be assigned multiple annotative scales.

Another option exists that is not widely followed and that is to put all text and dimensions in the layout itself. There are some definite advantages and disadvantages to doing so and each user/company must decide for themselves which method they will adopt.

You may also encounter one other method. This is where everything is placed in model space and paper space layouts (with viewports) are not utilized at all. Everything is scaled just as it would be if one were creating a drawing on a drafting board. Many of us who came to AutoCAD via the "old way" (draughtsman versus CAD tech) are very familiar with this method. Some do still follow this practice while others have moved to one of the two other methods I have previously described. I say "to each his own". I'm not here to start a debate or to argue that the way I do it is any better than the way someone else does it.

Ok, here is attachment. I still haven't solved my issue. I would prefer if you explained me to do this with layout, that is my boss likes it more but even he doesn't know to do this. I need to rotate it so width is 36" and spaced from edge of paper 15 mm, and height is optional. Scale needs to be 1:500. If you want to explain this to me by viewports plaese do so step by step. I'm sorry fo being pain in the ass, but I am land surveyor who used to work on terrain but now I m transfered in office.

blok123.dwg

Well first you would have to switch to a layout, right-click on the Layout1 tab and select Page Setup Manager. When the Manager opens click on the Modify button. This will bring up the Page Setup for Layout1. Select your printer/plotter, select the paper size, set plot scale to 1mm=1 unit, select your plot style table, and finally set the orientation of your paper to either portrait or landscape.

I do foresee one problem already though. It appears this is a metric drawing but you are specifying imperial sized paper. In my opinion this just leads to confusion thus the output is never going to be satisfactory. Metric units...metric paper size. Imperial units...imperial paper size always works much better.

Looking at your list of layers I noticed you have one named "View", color "magenta" set to "no plot". I take it this will be the layer you will be creating your viewports on?

I recently helped a young women in a Canadian architectural firm that was receiving drawings from a European client done entirely in metric and she was trying to print them out (strangely enough) on imperial sized paper and it was causing no end of grief. To further complicate matters she was new to the firm, the only CAD tech (the other had quit), she was being pressured by her new boss to print the drawing for an upcoming meeting and she was afraid to tell him she didn't know what she was doing. Talk about a recipe for disaster. I got her to convert the drawing from metric to imperial so she could plot it but even that did not go smoothly as she kept wanting to use a conversion factor different from the one I told her she needed to use. Somehow it all got straightened out and she was finally able to print the drawing. I think she still has her job.

I have simmilar situation. But in my case even my boss doesn't know much. I'm new in company (7 days), just finished Land surveying university.