+ Reply to Thread
    Computer Details
    JamFam's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    Using
    Architecture 2011

Default Quick & simple work area setup tips needed

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I am currently trying to learn AutoCAD 2000. I am new to AutoCAD, and I am trying to understand the work area setup process. I will be printing out on a regular sheet of paper 8 1/2" X 11". The scale I am presently working at will be 3"=1' based on the full scale drawing size of the material I am working on. I will be working at various scales in both imperial (English) sizes and metric at other times, but for this question lets use the 3"=1' scale. Ultimately what I want to be able to do is after AutoCAD loads and I am prompted to start a new sheet I want to be able to have a few prescaled work area sheets to choose from, but I am confused about what the basic steps are to setup my first drawing. I have a book called Mastering AutoCAD by George Omura and though the book has good information, I am somewhat confused and unsure about the work area setup steps.

Can you help or point me in the direction where I can find additional help?.

Kindest Regards

Discipline
    Mechanical
    fuccaro's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Mechanical eng.
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Hello!
    Never ever draw at scale!
    Always create your drawings at scale 1:1 and scale them up or down when it comes to plot them.
    When start a new drawing you may chose to start from a scratch. You select metric or imperial and begin to draw.
    Your units are not important: you may use millimeters or kilometers if you wish -as long as you are consequent
    When plotting you choose a paper size and scale the drawing to fit to that size.

Welcome in the our forum!
    It's nice to be nice, but sometimes is nicer to be evil!
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    Using
    Architecture 2011

Thank you.
    If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that my full scale drawing is just that, 1:1 and not scaled at the initial drawing stage,
    and at this point do I need to concern myself with setting up the "drawing limits"? or can this along with scaling of the drawing be done when I am finished creating my image?

Thank you for replying and providing me with your assistance.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Can I suggest that even though you are new to AutoCad you read up on layouts. This is the best way to plot your drawings and a scale is achieved by zooming up or down within a viewport to a specific magnification. As fuccaro said, you draw at 1:1, and if you use layouts and viewports you can then plot at 1:1.

In a nutshell a layout contains your title block (which is drawn to fit on the paper you are using). Within this layout and inside your title block, viewports are drawn (which are windows looking at your model). These viewports are then zoomed to a scale and the layer they are on is switched off. At the end you just plot the title block.

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

Sometimes new CAD folks have trouble understanding that model space is basically an infinite area to work in. Your layout or paper space is just that. Itís the area of the paper you are plotting to. You always draw objects to a ďreal lifeĒ one to one. When I have done some beginners training in the past I have found a lot of people have trouble with this basic CAD concept. Donít worry the more you use it the easier it becomes.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    Using
    Architecture 2011

Thanks for all the assistance.

I am presently reviewing questions about Layout, and I think I can find answers to some of my questions there.

I will come back to this forum because of the prompt and useful assistance I received.

Thanks to all

Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Mechanical eng.
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Quote Originally Posted by JamFam
    I will come back to this forum because of the prompt and useful assistance I received.
    Don't hesitate to ask. We are here to help each other.
    This is a nice place, isn't it?
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.

Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Mechanical eng.
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Quote Originally Posted by JamFam
    Don't hesitate to ask. We are here to help each other.
    This is a nice place, isn't it?

Forum Deity
    Using
    not specified

Apparently it's twice as nice!

Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Mechanical eng.
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Thanks CarlB!
    The connexion is very slow this morning and probably I clicked twice the SUBMIT. Now I hawe to go back and check the other posts I sent today...