Restrict Printing screen, Saving files into external drives, Printing specific files?

await2012

Our general manager strongly worries about data security after reading this news. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11070217

Could someone please suggest how we can forbid staff from Saving files into external drives, Printing specific files, Printing screen? We are also in finance field and we are not going to pay for penalty charge due to data loss.

We are very appreciated for your help in advance.:)

Go back to using pens, pencils and paper?

Nothing is foolproof. If an employee wants to steal information then they will find a way.

Your IT department should be looking into ways to minimize data loss.

Disable all internet access for the building (so they can't send out the data via email or upload it somewhere etc). Strip search and use metal detectors/x ray machines on everyone entering and leaving the building. All mobile phones and any other storage media is stored at the front desk security check point and returned to the employee once their shift is over and they are leaving the building.

Unless you do the above and more, you cannot stop someone intent on stealing data from their work from doing so.

This is the first time I heard this kind of problem... To the others who not yet experience this, always take care...hoping brother that your IT can solve this problem...I think there are softwares now for recovering LOSS data.

Keep in mind when you do disable the internet, external drives, DVD drives, USB ports and etc. you are also limiting the users to install updates, hotfixes and other simple fixes. After supporting certain government agencies in the past that did disable the above for security they found out that it takes weeks to get something fixed that others firms fixed in minutes. The best security is hiring the right people to start with paying them to stay.

My company is now using Curtain e-locker which provides such protection. You can use it to restrict function "Printing, Taking files out of office and Capturing screen" with various settings on user workstations and file servers. Users will have to save files at the same folders (Protected Zones Only). The link below is for your reference.

Edited by Tiger
link removed

• 2 weeks later...

What about using AutoCAD on Citrix server? If I'm not mistaken, it means that all data are centralized in server, not in local drive.

No I never use it, but if any of you ever use it, probably can share their experience here.