How to create a breakline an or jogline in a section

buildman

Top of the evening folks;

How do we do a break and or jogline in a section so we make things shorter? I did find the DIMJOGLINE command and that will be great for the dimensions but what about the other stuff, do we have to do that with a block or draw the thing, if that's the case what are you doing to handle this?

Thanks

James

You can use two viewports to compact the model without actually breaking it down. Here's how I do it when dimensioning in modelspace.

If you dimension in Paperspace, I suppose you'd also have to use a wipeout to break the dimline between the viewports?

You can use two viewports to compact the model without actually breaking it down. Here's how I do it when dimensioning in modelspace.

If you dimension in Paperspace, I suppose you'd also have to use a wipeout to break the dimline between the viewports?

Thanks Nestly;

I keep getting the old "BREAKLINE UNKNOWN COMMAND" message in both model and paper space, I'm working in Autocad LT 2012 and this seems to be one of those commands that's left out, if anybody knows better please let me know how and where you get it to work.

I did do the jogline that I needed it's not the hardest thing in the world to draw, I was just looking for the easy way.

Thanks for your time.

James

Thanks Nestly;

I keep getting the old "BREAKLINE UNKNOWN COMMAND" message in both model and paper space, I'm working in Autocad LT 2012 and this seems to be one of those commands that's left out, if anybody knows better please let me know how and where you get it to work.

I did do the jogline that I needed it's not the hardest thing in the world to draw, I was just looking for the easy way.

Thanks for your time.

James

BREAKLINE is an Express Tool and not available in LT.

Here's a dynamic block you may find useful?

Nestly;

This is just super, the very thing I was looking for, I knew it had to be out there somewhere.

I really appreciate this.

James

• 3 years later...

This is great! Possibly dumb question: how do I insert this into a drawing? Do I have to copy and paste? I tried saving it as a WBLOCK, and I tried just dropping in the file where I keep all the wblocks, but when I try to insert (INS) it I get "Invalid".

Welcome to Cadtutor.

The dynamic breakline is a block within a sample drawing, so to reuse, open the attached drawing select the breakline and drag/drop or copy/paste it into your drawing. You can also use Design Center to get it from the attached drawing into your other drawings. If you plan on using it frequently, then perhaps put it in your template file so it's already in every new drawing you start, or maybe put it on a tool palette.

• 1 year later...

The problem with using a block for the break line is that a lot of times (most of the time) I use break lines in details. I insert details on detail sheets as blocks themselves. So, after I've placed one detail block, the subsequent detail blocks containing the break line block will assume the properties of the break line block in the first detail. This is not a problem of the breakline block per se, but of blocks in general. Using Revit terms, it would be nice if blocks had "instance parameters" in addition to "type parameters".

It is unfortunate that it is so difficult to create a break line, a common drafting element, using AutoCAD LT.

Thank you,