Using Layer Manager with a Drawing that has an XREF Drawing Attached.

ehaysMBCI

Let me explain what I am trying to do. We are in the process of automating the first page of our drawing sets. As a part of the automation, we are inserting our panels into the first page as a block. The boarder of our drawings is an XREF drawing and blocks are inserted into said border to create our first page. When it comes to one particular block, we have different thicknesses within the same block. So in order to not have multiple drawings of the same block, I combined all of them into one and use layer manager to control which thickness is needed.

The problem...

When inserting the block with the different thicknesses and using layer manager to show the thickness needed all layers in the XREF drawing are turned off. I tried adding the XREF layers (they are consistent all the time) into the Layer Manager, but when inserting the block into the drawing, the XREF layers did not seam to be within the different layer controls anymore. I am now at a standstill and not sure what to do. I would be grateful for any and all suggestions.

Without more information, I can only guess at your issue. Have you checked the value of the system variable VISRETAIN? If it is 0, the original layer settings will carry over, that is, every time you open the drawing, the source drawing's parameters are reloaded. If it is 1, you can change the settings in the destination drawing and they won't be reloaded.

That explains why I have not received a response. I hope that I can clear things up with this. Some things may be redundant, please bear with me.

We work in Model space only. The title block is inserted as an XREF. We have numerous layers for different things to organize and for pen weights. I am trying to simplify the insertion of our insulated panel profiles by including all widths and thicknesses in one block. In order to get the correct thickness and width to show on the drawing I am using layer manager. When I insert the panel profile block into our front page and use layer manager to control the layers of the panel, it turns off all layers for the XREFed drawing. I have tried including the XREF layers in the block in the layer manager, but they do not hold when inserting into the drawing. I am trying to figure out a way that I can successfully insert and modify all of our insulated panel profiles without affecting any other portion of our first page. I have included some attachments to show what I am looking to get.

Hope this explains it better. Thanks again for everyone’s time.

All Layers on.pdf

How I want it to look.pdf

After Using Layer Manager.pdf

I'm still not sure I understand the problem, but my initial reaction is that you're attaching the xref to a layer that you're turning off.. Try making a new layer and moving the xref to that layer. If that doesn't work, your drawings appear as they'd be pretty small, attach them both here.