Clarification on buying AutoCAD licenses

alanlautocad

Hello,

I’m an IT consultant. My client/friend runs a small gardening business and asked me for help getting AutoCAD onto her computer. She’s taking design courses and wants AutoCAD to design gardens.

I’m aware that she can get educator copies for free. If possible she’d like a full version. I know something about the lawsuits going on right now and don’t wish to enter the debate. From what I’ve read it is currently legal to buy copies of older versions but at a certain version level AutoCAD added some type of online authorization that makes the issue moot. After this version it doesn’t matter if you have a license and key, you can’t get authorized and so can’t use it after the 30 day trial. Is this true or have I misinterpreted what I read?

If it is true, what’s the newest version she could buy and use?

Thanks,

Al

The online activation has been in the recent years of Autodesk Licensing. And yes, you are correct, it's illegal to sell older versions of Autodesk products, which in turn makes it illegal to purchase older versions since it's clearly stated in the EULA. Technically you never own AutoCAD, you're only really "leasing" it. You'll find most people who use AutoCAD don't agree with this but there are alternatives.

The only way to purchase AutoCAD legally is through an authorized reseller, which you can find on the Autodesk website. They only sell the latest version, which is currently AutoCAD 2012. Since AutoCAD 2012 runs @ a steep $4k, I would suggest an alternative. Things to consider:

• Purchase AutoCAD LT 2012 for around $1k which is still AutoCAD, but with limited functionality. Research exactly what AutoCAD will be used for and see if this is a better option.
  • Purchase a similar CAD application that looks, feels, and functions like AutoCAD. You can refer to ProgeCAD, DraftSight, or BricsCAD that are only in the few hundred dollar ranges. There are plenty more to these few examples I've given with research.
  • Use a freebie CAD application with certain restrictions, such as the free versions of ProgeCAD or DraftSight. Sometimes these free apps require a registration or puts a watermark on anything printed, but for starting out it works great to get the feel of the app when considering a purchase.

Hope this helps some. 8)

1. I thought the 2008 ruling said it was legal to sell and buy autocad?

2. When did they start the authorizing procedure. Do you know when the last year was they didn't do it?

Thanks for the information,

Al

Didn't we already go over all of this on another forum recently? This question sounds very familiar. :unsure:

1. It "might" be legal to buy and sell Autocad now, but there is no guarantee that Autodesk is going to issue you an activation code.

2. I can't remember a time when you didn't have to get an activation code for Autocad. You would probably have to go back to Autocad 2002, but don't quote me on that. I don't typically keep track of information like that.

If you don't want to pay the high price for Autocad, go with Autocad LT or one of the much cheaper Autocad clones, as Stykface mentioned.

I know for a fact that AutoCAD 2004 came with a serial number AND an authorization code in the same package. The user did not have to go online to activate the product. I skipped 2005 and 2006 but when I got 2007 I vaguely remember having to obtain an authorization code over the Internet for the very first time.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

What you thing about buying Autocad Software from site like ***Link Removed***? The price is very cheap, but I m not shure is it legal?

Thanks, Eve

Edited by Cad64
Removed link

That is a Russian website I believe and as such I would highly recommend that you do NOT buy any software from there as in all likelihood it is pirated and the chances of being able to get an authorization code from AutoDesk is zero. Remember we are talking about a program that sells for over $4,000 U.S. and very much higher overseas (Europe and Asia) so why would AutoDesk sell it at such a huge discount in Russia? Could it be they feel sorry for the Russians or just being overly generous?

I am not going to enter into the debate as to whether reselling autocad is legal or not but I do know it is possible to transfer a license. All you have to do is use the Autodesk License transfer utility that was added around 2010. You upload your license to the autodesk website using an autodesk login. Install the software on a second computer and using the license utility and the same autodesk login you can then activate the software on the new computer. The old software on the old computer will now not be active or usable.

Again, I do not know of the legality of transferring the license between users but I definitely use this method to transfer my own licenses when I upgrade my computers.

Completely different issue. Transferring a license that you own, legally, to another computer is not the same as purchasing a piece of software from one of those Russian websites and then trying to activate it. You can try if you want, but I certainly wouldn't take the risk.