Change Object Scale But Keep Dimensions The Same

Stryker1989

Hi Guys, yet another scale topic and i'm sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere. Point me in the direction if it has been discussed before.

Right as the title says, I am currently working on the drawing which I initially didnt have a template for (ie the border for the A1 page this drawing will be printed on) so off I went and started drawing using a scale of 1 drawing units = 1mm.

Now I have been given the border and the drawing I have comes no where near fitting on the sheet so I want to select all of the drawing and change the scale but I obviously don't want the dimensions to change. How can I achieve this?

I also need to know as there are certain parts of the drawings that need zoomed in views so all I want to do is copy the parts I have drawn and increase the scale but again keep the dimensions the same.

Cheers everyone

so I want to select all of the drawing and change the scale but I obviously don't want the dimensions to change.
actually you don't want to do this. You want to keep your drawing at 1 unit = 1mm and change the way it is presented. I would change the scale of the border but if you are starting out you should be using paperspace for your border and modelspace for your model. I am sure somebody will be along soon pointing you in the right direction but if they don't arrive search for paperspace viewports.

Sorry i meant to ask as well, is there a way to do this in model space, this isn't me asking this really, it's the person i'm passing this drawing on to, basically he wants the model space to look exactly how it would be printed out else I assume you could just do this with viewports in one of the layouts tab

cheers dbroada, yeah that's exactlw what I would do, I could knock it up in paperspace with viewports in next to no time, but this isn't what he wants and i have no idea how to achieve the same thing in model space without changing the scale of the objects :?

if you want to keep EVERYTHING in model space you can scale the border to fit around your object. As I said above this is how I do it but NEVER EVER draw at anything other than 1=1. OK, not entirely true but it WILL bite you in the future if you don't.

Do as Dave has suggested and scale the border/titleblock up to fit around the drawing. When it comes time for the other person to plot the drawing he does so by indicating in the plot dialog box what scale he wants to plot to. Believe me it won't be 1:1 as he'll be scaling the drawing down to fit on the size paper he is using.

Ok thats fine I will be able to do that with no problem, the only problem I do face Iis when I come to do the 'zoomed' in views of the drawing. basically it is a vessel with a few pipes welded to it. now the vessel is too large to show the dimensions of the pipes in just one drawing so the pipes have to be shown on the vessel and then shown again at about 10 times the size. this allows the large dimensions of the actual vessel to be seen on the main drawing and then the dimensions of the pipes to be seen in the 'zoomed' views.

I will try and attach the file so that you can see what I mean. What is there is the vessel and I've just stuck two leaders in showing A and B. so what I need to do is copy pipes A and B, and blow them up to about 10 times the size so that you can see the dimensions on them (which I have yet to put in). there will be a zoomed in view for each pipe showing the dimensions of it as well as showing the welds.

thanks guys

N370F.dwg

Now you know why working with a paper space layout makes what you are attempting to do so much easier than trying to do it all in model space. The "other" person has put you in a tight spot by making you do the drawing to fit his way of working when you should be doing it the right way.

You'll have to copy the portion of the vessel and the piping off to one side, trim it accordingly, then scale it up. However, when you go to dimension it you'll have to multiple the dimension AutoCAD wants to show by a factor of ten and override it using the Text option.

Cheers ReMark, I thought that might be the only way I was going to get round it, luckily I have all of the dimentions here and trust me the only reason I am doing this his way is to get him off my back, i know that this will be the first and last drawing I will be doing for him so after today I should be able to go back to drawing the way I should be drawing.

Cheers again

You'll have to copy the portion of the vessel and the piping off to one side, trim it accordingly, then scale it up. However, when you go to dimension it you'll have to multiple the dimension AutoCAD wants to show by a factor of ten and override it using the Text option.

The easier method is to make a copy of your dimstyle and give it a scale factor on the Primary Units tab that's the inverse of how much the part has been scaled up. ie if you scale the nozzles up 10x, then set your dimension style scale factor to 1/10

Everything is automatic, you just have to make sure you're using the correct dimstyle when dimensioning scaled parts.

To answer your original question, you can scale your drawing as you see fit, to adjust the dimensions in properties set Dim Scale Linear to display correct dimension i.e., if you scale by 10, Dim Scale Linear = 0.1000. You could also set a DimStyle for this or use _DIMLFAC system variable.

I would still do this in Paper Space (Layout Tab). Put the title block in Paper Space set your viewports for the model and the details. When you have everything the way you want it in the Model Space use _CHSPACE to bring the Model into Paper Space. You can dimension in Model or Paper, but I would use Paper Space for dims and notes. When you are finished send everything back to Model with _CHSPACE.

In more current versions, you can skip all the _CHSPACE by using _EXPORTLAYOUT (Export Layout to Model) to create a copy of your layout tab as a modelspace drawing.

The correct way to do a drawing is the way in which the customer/boss requests it to be done.