importing file error message

cabinetdesigner

I received a file from a architect just starting to use PowerCad but cannot open it. He exported his drawing as dwg. and emailed it to me. When I try to open with my AutoCad 2005 I get a dialog box stating: Invalid File, cannot open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dana

I received a file from a architect just starting to use PowerCad but cannot open it. He exported his drawing as dwg. and emailed it to me. When I try to open with my AutoCad 2005 I get a dialog box stating: Invalid File, cannot open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dana

The dwg being saved by PowerCad might be for a newer release of AutoCAD, try opening with DWG TrueView latest version from Autodesk free. You could, see if he can save to an older file format or post the file here to be saved down and/or see if the file itself is the problem.

the architect re-sent the files saved in a 2004-2006 format but I still got the same error message "invalid file". Could it have anything to do with the fact he is using PowerCad on a Mac and I am using Autocad on a PC?

I tried downloading and intalling TrueView but keep getting a error message the system cannot open the device or file specified. Think I have to uninstall and try again. Either way, this will not help me with importing his files to work on.

Wilder Kitchen Dimension Plan.dwg

Attached is the file the architect sent to me from PowerCADD. When I try to open with AutoCad 2005 I get a message stating "invalid file".

I talked with another architect using Power Cad about this and he said he has never had a problem sending his files in dwg. to Autocad users. So, there must be something simple going wrong here.

Would be interested in seeing if anyone else can open this file in AutoCad

Dana

Edited by cabinetdesigner

I asked the architect to re-send in DXF instead of DGW. When I tried to open in AutoCad I received this message: is not valid DXF file. Invalid or incomplete DXF input...drawing discarded

I have a email into the tech department at PowerCADD hoping they can shed some light on what to do.

appreciate any suggestions

Dana

Yes, this definitely is not being converted correctly by PowerCADD. What version of PowerCADD is the architect using?

Older versions need an add-on called PowerDWG to convert to .dwg/.dxf.