Civil drafting - section view?

progman

K, I've got the first 2 plates almost done in the Penn Foster Civil drafting course, but I'm having difficulty with drawing the 'section view', referenced for plate 3. I've looked through my project book and I can't seem to find any reference to 'section views'. In plate3, it asks for Section A to be drawn perpendicular from stn 2+20, looking westward, and to draw both the northern and southern portions of the driveway, but this is where I am stuck. I guess my confusion lies in the fact that I don't fully understand what a section view is and how to represent it in '2D'.

Any explanations on what exactly a section view is would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Are you referring to drawing the driveway profile and section A profile (plate 3) as called for starting on page 21 of the PDF file?

A section through a driveway or road would be a cut across the width going from edge of pavement to edge of pavement. If the cut were made along the center of the driveway's length it would be referred to as a centerline profile.

Plates 3 & 4 of the civil project I am speaking of can be seen in post #37 of this thread....http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?57959-Civil-drafting-school-project-help/page4

Are we talking the same project?

Are you referring to drawing the driveway profile and section A profile (plate 3) as called for starting on page 21 of the PDF file?

A section through a driveway or road would be a cut across the width going from edge of pavement to edge of pavement. If the cut were made along the center of the driveway's length it would be referred to as a centerline profile.

Yes, I referring to the Section A profile, plate 3. I am having trouble visualizing what exactly they are looking for. If you cut across the driveway, from curb-to-curb, and I assume looking down this profile, what would you see? And is that what they are asking for? I am also assuming they want the curb-to-curb cut as they mention the section being perpendicular to the driveways centerline, at point STN 2+20, then looking westward. Bascially, I'm having trouble visualizing what they want 'drafted up'.

Thanks!

Visualize the two plates in post #37 that I went through all the trouble of finding for you. We have eyes yet we do not see? LOL

I have seen the pics in question, but as I cannot read the labels, I don't quite understand what the section A graph is representing. I can visualize the slice through the driveway, but I don't understand if your looking west, what would you see? Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding the question in the book, but if you slice the driveway at Stn 2+20 and look west, the elevations decrease, so if you were looking at the slice, would you not just see the high point, with everything else more or less being blocked by the view? I tried plotting the elevation changes in a westerly direction , but my lines do not come close to what the pics in the other civil drafting posts show....

I know I am having a hard time explaining my question, but thats because I don't understand what Section A is supposed to represent. And yes, I do see, but fail to comprehend....lol :)

A section view in its simplest form would be as if you'd sliced the objects in the drawing into 2 pieces, then pulled one out and rotated it toward you to see inside. For an easier picture, consider the lowly Twinkie (you know, that little sponge cake thing that's been around for a million years). Grab one end of the cake in your left hand, and cut it in two with a knife in your right hand along its short axis. Pick the half in your left hand up and turn it so you can see inside it with the bottom of the cake towards the floor. You should see that white mystery stuff in the middle, surrounded by sponge cake. That is a section view. If this were a drawing of the cake, you would start out looking at the long side of the Twinkie (or the "elevation" view) with a section line and arrows pointing to the left.

In your case, you would need to slice the objects in the drawing along a north to south line (check the orientation of your drawing), then draw those objects as if you were looking inside them facing west. What would be behind you at that point doesn't matter. Only show what you would see looking west from where your section line crosses.

Edited by Jack_O'neill
hit the post button too soon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone! I've muddled through with the help of the posters here and managed to get a 95% on the submitted exam, so thanks everyone! And yes, I do understand what it was they were asking, it just took a bit for the 'brain cells' to kick in and 'see' what the section view really is. :)

For an easier picture' date=' consider the lowly Twinkie (you know, that little sponge cake thing that's been around for a million years). Grab one end of the cake in your left hand, and cut it in two with a knife in your right hand along its short axis. Pick the half in your left hand up and turn it so you can see inside it with the bottom of the cake towards the floor. You should see that white mystery stuff in the middle, surrounded by sponge cake. That is a section view.[/quote']

That's actually one of the best explanations of a section I'e heard - I tip my hat to you, sir.

dJE

That's actually one of the best explanations of a section I'e heard - I tip my hat to you, sir.

dJE

Thank you! Very nice thing to say.