Help me. Newbie. Layers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOST NEWBIE

Every time i have to create a new drawing for class i have to put in all the layers, line types, color, etc. The layers are the same for every drawing my professor want us to do. Is there a way to make a template(or whatever) that i can make and use. So that i don't have to waste all this time putting in the same stuff for every drawing i start . Please help!

Edited by LOST NEWBIE
proof reading lol

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOST NEWBIE

• ReMark

• resullins

• RocketSurgeon

yes and I'd be suprised if you couldnt do a search on the internet as to how to set up a template, but a quicker solution may be to simply take the last drawing you did for him and do a saveas and use it as your starting point for your new one.

Thank you for replying, I did search the net but everything seem to be not what i was looking for. I might not know what i am looking for. lol Should I start a new drawing and put in all the drawing standards and save it. I am new to this ad looking for the right way to do things? Thanks

@OP:

1. Open a new drawing.

2. Put in all information you want.

3. Save As

4. Change file type to .dwt (the T stands for template, and this will automatically take you to your template support path)

5. Make this file something you can remember (I use DEFAULT.dwt)

6. Click Save.

7. BACK IN AUTOCAD - Type Options, hit enter

8. Go to the FILES tab at the top.

9. In the tree, expand the TEMPLATE SETTINGS header.

10. Expand the "Default Template File Name for QNEW" and Default template for Sheet Creation and Page Setup Overrides"

11. Change them BOTH to the file you just saved in step 6.

12. Now, whenever you make a new drawing, it will start with the template you created.

Have fun! Let me know if you have any questions.

I am still here. I just had to go eat, take my daughter to try to get a viola, try working on these drawings out the technical drawing book, and being frustrated. My professor has a bad way of teaching us. He goes over the commands then at the end of class he says go do these drawing never showing us how to put this stuff together.

Thank you for all of those that have helped me. Does anyone know where I could go on the web to see some drawings being done from start to finish.

What kinds of drawings are you interested in seeing?

I guessed as much. What I meant by "type" was architectural, mechanical, structural, civil, etc.?

You might benefit from the purchase of a good technical drawing book in addition to any after-market AutoCAD book you may have already.

Nice set of calipers. What do you want to know?

Hint: When it comes time to put in the straight line segments make use of the Tangent option.

Got to run. Catch up with you later.

Edited by ReMark

I was able to draw this with the exception of the bottom "V" of the caliper. The dimensions are lacking to do that part. I started with a circle and offset to get the two top circles. Then I drew a center line and offset to the bottom distances I needed did two more circles and four lines tangent to the circles. Used break at point and made line hidden then dimensioned everything. Took me about 5 minutes - YMMV.

new block.dwg

Edited by Ryder76
spelling dangit