Extruding Faces on Tapered Angles

Hogfan

I have a arc that is about 21.5 radius and .5 in width. My problem is that it is going on a bench that i have made and the corner piece needs to be cut out and i am trying to figure how to make this line look like an actual piece. Does this make sense to anyone? i can extrude the piece to 21 inches tall, but then i need it tapered back to fit this bench were making.

511 Bench Back.pdf

Edited by Hogfan
Adding more information

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hogfan

• Jack_O'neill

• Ollie8974

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you look at the pdf? It is going up against the back. That is what it is, a back for this bench, then they will put padding and cover it. Sorry the pics may not do it justice. i can show an overall view of the bench if that would help.

Possibly so , this is embarrassingly over my head. If you look at the plan view of the arc, i need it to be 21.5 tall and angled back at 9 degrees also. I have never taken any AC lessons, I am self taught mostly other than what i get from here and a few other friends. Sorry i cant answer that question with a positive response. The software i use is AC based and so i usually just modify parts through the program, except the few instances like this. Thanks.

Ok, if I've understood what you wanted this drawing is just of the plywood back. I gave you a 2d top and front view, plus the 3d model. Its in 2007 format. The front view is oriented as it would be in your first drawing, looking at the short end of the bench. If this is not what you wanted, let me know and I'll try to help some more. Send me a pm and I'll call you. I have to run into town for a bit, but should be back in an hour or so.

BENCH BACK.dwg

Are you wanting to do a Profile and then a Sweep with rails

AutoCAD does not have Sweep with rails. He will need to use _SWEEP, though he will need to sweep a path.

Post the .dwg file.

Still not sure what you want the end result to be, but look in Help for the SWEEP command.

Is this what you are trying to do?

1 draw the seat back

2 off set the thickness of the seat back material, in this example I used 3/4inch.

3 open the draw a circle menu choose the tan,tan ,radius circle.

the instructions will ask you of indicate the two insertion lines. click any place on the two seat backs

the instructions will then ask for the radius. I used the radius of 13 7/16 given in your plans.

Trim away the circle leaving the radius in image 3. offset the radius the thickness of the seat back material.

In this example I used 3/4 inch. Now trim away the seat back, using the radius, as in image 6.

Bench Seat Test 2.jpg

I thought the OP wanted the seat profile to be curved. Either way the above method will work.

After I saw what you did, I began to think maybe I misunderstood and what you did was what he wanted. The radius he gave in the original post won't fit if you do that though. I thought he was having trouble with the curved portion of the seat back. Oh well, maybe he'll pop in here in a bit and help us out. I've had way too much allergy meds the last couple of days to be sure of anything!