how do you cut a part from an intersecting part in an assembly??

rhader

I think the title says it all...

but I am trying to make the correct cut required for a bracket and it has an intersting part which I need to cut Away from the bracket. due to the angle at which the intersecting part has on it simply overlaying the liens using 'ceonvert' is not sufficient and I can 'guess' approximately where the cut will be but it would be nice if I could do this accurately..

see picture for where I would like to cut.

intersecting part.jpg

What version of solidworks are you using? Could you upload the file?

I would edit the part within the asm to produce the cut so you have the sister part as a guide...

What version of solidworks are you using? Could you upload the file?

I would edit the part within the asm to produce the cut so you have the sister part as a guide...

I am using SW 2011. and yes that is exactly what I am trying to do - just cant find the function to complete that with... as for uploading it whats the appropriate way to upload an assembly here? never done that before...

I am using SW 2011. and yes that is exactly what I am trying to do - just cant find the function to complete that with... as for uploading it whats the appropriate way to upload an assembly here? never done that before...

Either use the Pack n Go function in SW.

Or simply drag and drop relevent part & asm files into a folder and zip it to compress the folder size.

Then upload here using the advanced post ...

I think the title says it all...

but I am trying to make the correct cut required for a bracket and it has an intersting part which I need to cut Away from the bracket. due to the angle at which the intersecting part has on it simply overlaying the liens using 'ceonvert' is not sufficient and I can 'guess' approximately where the cut will be but it would be nice if I could do this accurately..

see picture for where I would like to cut.

Cavity is the feature you want. Edit the part you want to cut from then go to Insert>Features>Cavity. In the selection box select the part you want to use for your cut(and you will also need to select the part you are cutting from if you have more than one solid body in that part file).

I don't typically recommend this method though but the end goal is really what drives it. i would always try Master Modeling where all these parts are in the same part file as a multi body solid first. It will be more robust and you can make weldments that way as well.

let me know if cavity doesnt work for you.