Cyclone Simulation Test?

wsk80

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know the Cyclone simulation test on the switchboard?

Can it be done in Autocad 2012? What kind of software needed?

Please advice.

Thank you.

Regards,

James

Hi,

It's possible to have simulation test cyclone on the switchboard? - like withstand wind force?, impact? etc.....

Is there a software for it? Im new so i would like to know more about it.....

Please advice.

Thank you.

Hi,

It's possible to have simulation test cyclone on the switchboard? - like withstand wind force?, impact? etc.....

Is there a software for it? Im new so i would like to know more about it.....

Please advice.

Thank you.

I doubt AutoCad will be able to achieve that. Can you not just use the shape factor of it (just a rectangle I assume), get the material data sheets from the manufactuer which will state what their product is capable of (strength wise) and then put a decent factor of safety on top? Wind is a complicated one, although as the cross sectional area of the switchboard irregardless of the windward side will be pretty negligible, the force of the wind acting on it shouldn't be much of a problem so long as it is strongly secured to the house.

Not knowing the local code your area falls under, if I was fixing one of these to my wall I would just double up on the brackets/screws I thought I needed as a margin of safety and be done with it.

If you wanted to really get into it you though could model the box in a finite element software (FEA) package which will be able to give you an an accurate model of the stresses experienced on the box under different loading scenarios.

Hi Dink87522,

Thank you for your advice. The location for the switchboard is mining site (open area). Where the switchboard will sit on the concrete slap. Forget to tell you that switchboard is free standing (4meter long) x (2meter high) x 600mm(Deep). Materail is Aluminum 2.5mm.

I will try the FEA software.

Thank you.

Forget what I said then. When you said switchboard I was thinking a small (

If you wanted to get a rough idea of the wind forces that it needs to be designed for you will have to lookup the code that deals with environmental actions for the region where you are located (AS/NZS1170.2 from memory). The force will depend upon what part of WA you are located in, the height of the terrain, prevailing wind direction and a couple of other factors, i.e. if you wanted it calc'd properly you will need to hire an engineer (or get one of the civil engineers at the mine site) to do it.

Hi Guys,

I find this (up & running with autodesk inventor professional 2012: part 1 stress & frame analysis).. would this book will help me to learn the simulation? Beside i just started to use the Autocad 2012, i find this dvd video tutorial - AutoCAD 2012 Training DVD - Tutorial Video by InfiniteSkills. - is that good?

Please advice.

Thank you.

If this is a task being done by your employer they should have methods inplace for simulation. Like i previously stated, there are also codes that need to be followed.

Hi Guys,

I find this (up & running with autodesk inventor professional 2012: part 1 stress & frame analysis).. would this book will help me to learn the simulation?

This book will not help as it is for Autodesk Inventor (Dynamic Simulation), not Autodesk Simulation (formerly Algor).

This is a complex subject and you will have to sign up for an advanced course to learn how to use the software.