Pan + Orbit

Goomba

I am new to SolidWorks coming off Inventor, change of job change of software.

I have been using it now for about a month (not all the time, using AutoCAD aswell) and still cannot accept that the middle mouse button is orbit and not pan while in part/assembly. I am getting used to holding ctrl when I want to pan but I still don't believe it is the best way to navigate a model.

AND how come when you go into Drawing the middle mouse button all of a sudden becomes pan? (like it should)

I have searched and searched but havnt come up good, Is there a way to change this?

I am new to SolidWorks coming off Inventor, change of job change of software.

I have been using it now for about a month (not all the time, using AutoCAD aswell) and still cannot accept that the middle mouse button is orbit and not pan while in part/assembly. I am getting used to holding ctrl when I want to pan but I still don't believe it is the best way to navigate a model.

AND how come when you go into Drawing the middle mouse button all of a sudden becomes pan? (like it should)

I have searched and searched but havnt come up good, Is there a way to change this?

You can set all these functions up however you want to. I have never used the mouse for anything other than zoom(wheel). I used to instantly setup my space bar as 3d orbit and use the ctrl+ number keys as well. Ctrl+8 is Normal To. 7 is iso, 1-6 are the standard views. I use a 3d mouse at home and work and wouldnt go back now. You can also use your arrow keys if you want. the arrow keys rotate the model in 15degree increments(you can change this) about its origin. Holding down Alt rotates about your viewing axis. Holding ctrl down pans it.

For the mouse stuff(depending on which mouse you are using) you can control this some-what in the control panel of windows. There is usually an options that allows program specific button configs.

The middle button does two different things depending on if you hold it down or if you just scroll it. at least thats what i have found. I feel like setting up a keyboard stroke(like space bar) for 3d orbit works best with no 3d mouse.

So I caved in and got a 3D mouse.. just trialing it at home at the moment.. want to get the hang of it before I put my case forward to get the drivers installed at work

You dont need to set up a keyboard command to do 3d Orbit thats my problem, the middle mouse button is orbit when I want it to be pan.

This has to be one of the major gripes from inventor / any autodesk users coming over to solidworks, you would think you could change it in options.

PS still believe orbit should be the command you need to press something to do not pan ;)

See goomba i have never used the mouse buttons for orbit which is why i used the space bar. Even in inventor i never did the 3rd mouse button for anything other than zoom. just personal preference i guess:)

which 3d mouse did you get?

I got the 3d connexion space navigator

Not alot of places in Australia sell 3d mice.. try searching for it and you get 3d spongebob mouse..

I prefer to change the zoom/pan behavior by going into the 3DConnexion Control Panel and set zoom to be up down on the puck which then makes pan more natural forward away just like left right. (if that makes sense)

I prefer to change the zoom/pan behavior by going into the 3DConnexion Control Panel and set zoom to be up down on the puck which then makes pan more natural forward away just like left right. (if that makes sense)

See i am the opposite:) I kept forward/back as zoom. To me that made more sense since you are "holding" the part. Another guy i work with switched them.

Goomba, i think you have 2 buttons on the navigator right? I suggest setting one up as the "S" key so you can fill your shortcuts with all the standard tools you use. The other one for most people would probably be fit, in case you get a little crazy with the rotating:) I use the explorer at home and the pilot pro at work and if i had to do it again i would have spent the extra for the pilot pro for home too. All the extra buttons are really worth it. I have 10 function buttons, 10 view buttons plus fit. ctrl,shift,alt,esc plus a few others. I could do without the lcd but it is nice to have too. The only button i really like on the explorer is the 2d button you can press when you start sketching.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the 3D mouse. SW license should just include the Connexion IMHO. I have space navigator too... I dont even have it on the desk when I'm doing 2d drawings and most days I barely touch it. However, once you start doing assemblies its worth its weight in gold.

I agree the "S" key setup is a must. The LCD and the top controls around it are useless. So are the press+hold functions, they are too slow and I didnt see a setting to change the dwell in the current driver.

Once you get acclimated to the setup and start getting a work flow, you will want to customize the order and contents of your 'S' contextual menu. That is one cool thing about SW... you can put any command in any toolbar as you see fit. Once you get your tool bars, shortcuts and contextual menus all laid out DEFINITELY do not forget to export your setup. SW is buggy sometimes and nothing is worse then losing your settings and trying to rebuild.