Surveyor bearings PROBLEM

paisis123

Sup forum,

im having a weird problem. as im trying to input some bearings on my drawing.

@ 178.48

PLEASE HELP! thank you, and for the person that does help me they can get a cake!:glare:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paisis123

• ReMark

• Squirltech

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be input this way.

@141.3515,178.48

The first (1) after the @ sign is the quadrant for the direction you want to go. 1=NE, 2=SE, 3=SW and 4=NW. Then type the bearing followed by the distance separated by a comma. :thumbsup:

well thanks for the help but now im slightly more confused ( i know im a dunce), it still wont let me input it correctly. is there another topic about this like proper settings to activate before hand?

It should be input this way.

@141.3515,178.48

The first (1) after the @ sign is the quadrant for the direction you want to go. 1=NE, 2=SE, 3=SW and 4=NW. Then type the bearing followed by the distance separated by a comma. :thumbsup:

Huh? That will draw a line 141.3515 units to the right, and 178.48 units up from the first pick point (in AutoCAD)

I see nothing wrong with the way the OP is inputting the surveyor units, that's exactly how I do it.

paisis, can you post a sample drawing, the only thing I can think is that you're somehow setup not to accept that form of input.

I can't open the drawing, it's too new, but check this stuff.

Go to menu bar Format > Units.

Make sure your angle type is set to Surveyor's units, precision is set to N0d00'00"E, make sure clockwise is NOT checked. For length type, set to Decimal, Precision set to 0.00, and units is set to feet.

Click the direction button at the bottom and make sure direction control base angle is set to EAST.

Last but not least, I guess you already have dynamic input turned on, but you don't realy need it. To each his own.

paisis, the point you're trying to specify is beyond the drawing limits. I don't know if you're supposed to be using limits for some reason, but simply turning them off will allow you to proceed. (LIMITS = OFF at the command line)

@ Squirltech, yeah, that must be a LDD/Map thing, If you enter that into AutoCAD like that, you end up with a line that's 227.6738 units long with a bearing of 38d22"42'

paisis, you're specifying a point that is beyond the drawing limits. I don't know if you're supposed to be using limits for some reason, but simply turning them off will allow you to proceed. (LIMITS = OFF at the command line)

Yeah, that too.

Limits? I never think of that. I don't know why they still have that one. I guess there are a lot of people still setting their paper size in model space with it or something.

@ Squirltech, yeah, that must be a LDD/Map thing, If you enter that into AutoCAD like that, you end up with a line that's 227.6738 units long with a bearing of 38d22"42'

Having LDD, I don't have this problem. I just use Line by Direction and go from there. :P

Thanks for clarifying for the OP. :thumbsup:

yup i have those settings. double checked it, and re did the sequence, but to still no avail. this is quite weird.

I JUST WANT TO DO SOME BEARINGS!:x

Its my drawing. and i drew it. if you can make the line as the pdf show in page 16 thats great. my teacher told me to do it in the command line. how do you do it in the command line?;)

its autocad 2010

I just created the line, in YOUR drawing, as per your previous post using this information: @178.48

Not sure what problem you are having.

Here's a snippet from my AutoCAD text window:

Command: line

Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: @178.48

If I do a LIST on the line I just drew this is what is returned in the text window:

Command: LI

LIST

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

LINE Layer: "row"

Space: Model space

Handle = 2952

from point, X=521962.0000 Y=44545.0000 Z= 0.0000

to point, X=522080.4684 Y=44678.4929 Z= 0.0000

Length = 178.4800, Angle in XY Plane = N 41d35'15" E

Delta X = 118.4684, Delta Y = 133.4929, Delta Z = 0.0000

I looked at the PDF file (page 16). The bearing that goes with the distance 178.48 is shown as S49d49'39"E not N41d35'15"E.

The distance and bearing as shown in the instructions is correct as I have verified them in a copy of the drawing you are working on. However, in my drawing the line ends right atop the east ROW line of Cedar Park Lane.

Note: I believe your ROW lines (yellow) and curb lines (green) are drawn at the incorrect angle as well.

I don't know where you got the bearing you listed previously but it is wrong.

FYI - For anyone interested.

This is all in reference to the Civil Drafting Project 6 by Penn-Foster. I believe it is Plate 1.

Could a Moderator please move this thread to the Student Project Questions forum? Thanks.

Edited by ReMark

Also as a side note, when im inputting digits into autocad, autoCad deselects itself (the whole program) e.g like clicking on the desktop, and the autocad program is not in use. this is really annoying to me as im in the middle of inputting a long coordinates and im cut off randomly in the middle and have to start all over again. WHY AM I HAVE THE LEMON PROGRAM!?:x

is there a similar problem or do i have to start a new thread for this question

and ReMark gets the virtual cookie! and as a quantam mechanic, are working any warp drives?

One time I got into a car accident. I blamed the car. My father said it was the fault of the nut behind the wheel.

I would recommend you pay closer attention to what you are reading and doing. If one input is wrong you could end up throwing off the entire drawing.

I don't know why/how AutoCAD would "deselect itself". It's your computer. You installed the software, right? Did you have any problems during the installation? Are there any other "problems" you are experiencing with AutoCAD?

I think in this case your problems may well be self-inflicted.

If you are experiencing a multitude of problems with the way AutoCAD is running then I would suggest running the REPAIR option found under Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.

This project has been the subject of many a previous thread. One such thread contains a wealth of information. Here is a link to it.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?57959-Civil-drafting-school-project-help

Other similar threads can be found in the Student Project Questions sub-forum under the AutoCAD Begineer's Area.

nope just the weird deslecting problems. ill try the repair autocad. and if it does not work i might reinstall it. thanks again for your help. and what kind of autocad work do you do? and do you have a gallery? i bet you have done many great things!:D

Do NOT do an uninstall/reinstall without first doing some homework about the best way to approach the task otherwise you could end up being worse off than you are now. AutoDesk has a recommended procedure for doing a clean uninstall in preparation for an re-install. Try the REAPIR option first if you must.

What OS are you running? What version? Ex. - Windows 7 Ultimate(64-bit).

I work for a small chemical manufacturing plant doing a variety of types of drawings. No, I do not have a gallery. I don't think I'm that good however there are other forum members who really are. I've done one or two great things in my life but they have nothing to do with CAD.