Please, Please help! can not open dimension styles box?

redchilli

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I use Microstation V8 at work but have recently purchased a copy of Autocad LT 2011 for private work and have not really used Autocad since College.

The problem I had the other day was that whenever I tried to select the hatch icon a message cam up saying "Autocad has stopped working.... Windows will close the problem" Somebody suggested entering hpquickpreview and changing the value which solved the problem.

However my current problem is...

When I attempt to open the dimensions style box either from the tool bar or by entering D in the command ribbon the same thing happens "Autocad has stopped working.... Windows will close the problem" This is so frustrating as I have not had this problem previously. I can work around it by editing the dimension style in the properties box but I can not understand why I can not do it the normal way. Is it something to do with the previews.

Many thanks for any help!

AutoCAD LT 2011.

Did you download and install any/all updates for this version of AutoCAD?

Does the problem occur in any drawing you use dimensions in or just one particular drawing?

AutoCAD LT 2011.

Did you download and install any/all updates for this version of AutoCAD?

Does the problem occur in any drawing you use dimensions in or just one particular drawing?

Hi, thank toy for the reply.

No I have not downloaded any updates for this, it is just what came with the disc.

It does seem to happen with any drawing.

Cheers

I would find and download Update 1.1 AND Update 2.0 (in that order) for AutoCAD 2011. Create a RESTORE point prior to installing the updates. Test it. What happens? Report back here with the results.

Make sure you download the correct version of each update. There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You know which one you need right?

Here's a link to get you started.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9240618

I would find and download Update 1.1 AND Update 2.0 (in that order) for AutoCAD 2011. Create a RESTORE point prior to installing the updates. Test it. What happens? Report back here with the results.

Make sure you download the correct version of each update. There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You know which one you need right?

Here's a link to get you started.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9240618

Cheers mate, I really appreciate your advice. I am in the middle of a job at the moment and do not want to try anything like this until I finish, probably at the end of the week, but will do it then.

Sorry to be a real layman but could you shed some light on the following;

Why do there need to be updates?

I notice you are in the US, and I am in th UK, is there any difference in the updates I need.

If I install the updates and it solves the problem and then for whatever reason I have to re-install, surely I would have to re-do the updates. and what if they become unavailable. The reason I ask is becasue I will probably be changing my computer soon?

The thing with me is I can use various software but I admit that I am in the dark when it comes to problems like this as in the office somebody else deals with it all.

Many thanks again, you obviously know your stuff!

Edited by redchilli
spelling

Why do there need to be updates? Updates are issued to solve problems and address concerns of users.

I notice you are in the US, and I am in th UK, is there any difference in the updates I need? There are no differences that I am aware of. Language specific problems are sometimes addressed via something called a hot-fix.

If I install the updates and it solves the problem and then for whatever reason I have to re-install, surely I would have to re-do the updates. and what if they become unavailable? The reason I ask is because I will probably be changing my computer soon? Yes, you would have to install the updates once again. They should not become unavailable any time soon. Since they are files that reside on your hard drive you could always copy them to a flash drive, CD or DVD so it would save you the hassle of having to find and download them again.

I know less today than I will tomorrow.

Why do there need to be updates? Updates are issued to solve problems and address concerns of users.

I notice you are in the US, and I am in th UK, is there any difference in the updates I need? There are no differences that I am aware of. Language specific problems are sometimes addressed via something called a hot-fix.

If I install the updates and it solves the problem and then for whatever reason I have to re-install, surely I would have to re-do the updates. and what if they become unavailable? The reason I ask is because I will probably be changing my computer soon? Yes, you would have to install the updates once again. They should not become unavailable any time soon. Since they are files that reside on your hard drive you could always copy them to a flash drive, CD or DVD so it would save you the hassle of having to find and download them again.

I know less today than I will tomorrow.

Cheers buddy,

I tried installing the updates but it has not made any difference. I have also noticed that sometimes the same thing happens when I try to import certain drawings and blocks. The programme also starts t orun slowly when I have got a lot of detail ao am starting to think it is due to my processing power?

Cheers!

What are the hardware specs for your computer?

What OS are you running?

How much RAM do you have?

What kind of graphics board or chip are you using?

What is a typical file size that you work with?

Have you tried using the REPAIR option?

Windows Vista Home Premium

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz

3.00 GB (RAM)

32-bit

How do I find out about graphic card?

Cheers, I must sound like such an idiot!!

Information about your graphics card can be found by going to the Control Panel and checking Device Manager > Graphics processor.

Want to answer the other questions? I had to give up mind-reading at the request of Homeland Security.

Have you tried running the REPAIR option? Yes/No/I have no idea what the REPAIR is?

I have put the disc in and selected the repair option, which did not make any difference. Is this what you mean? Do you think that my laptop specification is decent enough.

James

32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 the system requirements call for an Intel Pentium 4 or an AMD Athlon dual-core 3.0GHz or higher with SSE2 technology.

This is a new installation of LT 2011 right? And it has had this problem right from the start right? It's not that you one day woke up and all of a sudden you had a problem where one did not exist the day before.