ACAD Architecture 2010 Door and Finish Schedules

HUMMIKE

Hi All,

I've recently started work at a firm whose drawing style can only be described as disorganized (that's the consensus). The system is the result of a few people working on the drawings without a set standard. It now lies somewhere between the original, fully 2D method of drafting in Autocad blended with some of the features now available in ACAD 2010. My current problem is regarding the creation of door and finish schedules, but I think it encompasses most of the problems we're having with our drawings.

We use ACAD strictly as a 2D drafting tool, however the 3D modelling tool 'Wall' is being used to create floor plans for a model which will never be seen in 3D. Doors/Windows are then inserted into these walls with added tags, and the schedules are created quickly and easily using the object's extended data. Because all of these objects have height attributes associated with them, we are having problems when polylines are used, as they connect to walls at different heights, affecting our ability to trim, fillet, create hatches, etc. I have never used these tools in previous jobs and don't know how we should go about making the process cleaner. The above mentioned issues are definitely affecting productivity and the ability for consultants to use the drawings effectively.

Is it possible to create tags (with extended data) which can be used to make tables WITHOUT using these frustrating objects and the (IMO) uncooperative wall tool? Are those tools strictly for 3D drafting or can they be created without an associated height? If anyone gets where I'm coming from and can offer some explanation/assistance, I would really appreciate it. The way we're working gets the job done, but the resultant drawings are not pretty and the OCD part of my brain is slowly eating me alive!!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

You can definitely do what you're wanting with normal blocks, actually, and still use the power of the AutoCAD Architecture scheduling tools to dynamically populate your door/window schedules. I'm busy at the moment, give me time to finish up a project and I will point you in the right direction unless someone in here pops in and beats me to it (which is perfect fine, too).

Okay, sorry for the delay.

Go to the Style Manager, and go to Documentation Objects > Property Set Definitions and create a new PSD. Under the "Applies To" tab, make sure it's set to "Objects" and in the list, click the checkbox for "Block Reference". Next, under the "Definition" tab, create a Manual Property Definition. Give whatever name you want, but be picky since this is what will be displayed in your Schedule. Make things like "Block Name" or "Door Style", etc. You can even try the Automatic Property Definition but it can be quirky with normal blocks.

Now, while still in the Style Manager, go to Documentation Objects > Schedule Table Styles and create a new Table. Repeat the same thing under the "Applies To" tab (which is basically referencing the PSD's to look for normal 2D AutoCAD Blocks). Under Columns, this is where you can use the "Add Column" box to select what Property Set Definition you want to use. There are also other formatting options, just fiddle with these settings to your liking.

Now all you have to do is select the block in your file, open Properties, click the Extended Data tab and you'll see the Property Sets header with the Manual and/or Automatic Property Sets. The Manual PSD's are for you to fill out. The Automatic PSD's simply populate the info you chose automatically from the configurations from the previous step. Now keep in mind, if you change one block it does not change all references, so it's best to apply these PSD's before you ever start a new Drawing, and house them in some type of organized block library. That way from this point forward, the PSD information is set so you just drag/drop in your AEC Schedule and it automatically populates the information for you, all using vanilla 2D AutoCAD blocks.

Hope this helps. :)

AMAZING! I knew there was an alternative to the method we were using around here, but was shot down at every turn as a heretic. I'll mess around with this and get to know it. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Best,

Mike