Accidentally sketched in multiple planes

Steve-O

Long story short, I am new to the 3D capabilities of AutoCAD 2012 and I have somehow managed to place items from my 2D layout sketch onto multiple planes in the Z axis. Again, this was on accident. I have not clue how I managed to do this.

How can I remedy this? Is there a way to project one plane onto the other, and then delete the original to get all of the features back on the same plane? What keystrokes must I have hit to cause this to happen?

Any thoughts?

Sketch? Planes?

This sounds like an Autodesk Inventor question - not an Autodesk AutoCAD question, but perhaps Flatten is what you are looking for.

Can you attach the file here?

there are multiple ways to have managed this so awnsering how you did it may be difficult, if its all on the same plane you can move it the distance required to get the z to zero, or you can use flatten, incase your unfamiliar its a lisp routine that sets everything you select to zero, it should be easy enough to find a free copy with a simple google search.

This sounds like an Autodesk Inventor question - not an Autodesk AutoCAD question, but perhaps Flatten is what you are looking for.

apperantly everything is an inventor question to you ......

Sketch? Planes?

Can you attach the file here?

Definitally using AutoCAD, not inventor.

I noticed the issue when pulling dimensions using "dist". The dimension should have been 6", but it was returning a measurement of 247'. On a hunch, I switched to an isometric view and sure enough, a handful of the features ended up on a plane 247' away in the Z axis.

apparently everything is an inventor question to you ......

Your right, it could have been a SolidWorks or Pro/E question as these are standard default terms in parametric software.

SWx.png

Your right, it could have been a SolidWorks or Pro/E question as these are standard default terms in parametric software.

or maybe its just a typical term used in engineering/drafting, I distictly remember using the term 'plane' as a manual drafter ..........

or maybe its just a typical term used in engineering/drafting, I distictly remember using the term 'plane' as a manual drafter ..........

But the command sketch in AutoCAD is something completely different than in Inventor, SolidWorks or Pro/E.

In any case, there were a couple of other Inventor - Routed Systems questions posted here earlier today in the AutoCAD forum and I thought this might simply be another one.

See the two posts by AutoNub - both Inventor questions - one of them moved.

The OP clarified that it was not and Inventor question. My question answered by OP. Case closed on that!

I also gave the suggestion for Flatten in the first response, but OP didn't indicate if that worked.

Long story short, I am new to the 3D capabilities of AutoCAD 2012 and I have somehow managed to place items from my 2D layout sketch onto multiple planes in the Z axis. Again, this was on accident. I have not clue how I managed to do this.

How can I remedy this? Is there a way to project one plane onto the other, and then delete the original to get all of the features back on the same plane? What keystrokes must I have hit to cause this to happen?

Any thoughts?

Steve-O

Since you are new to 3d coming from a 2d environment is it possible you are doing your work in a non-isometric view? Is it also possible that you do not have your UCS icon on at all times? Another possibility is if you have the dynamic UCS turned on and as you are working you may not be aware of where in 3d space you are placing or constructing objects.

I would advise always having your UCS icon on (I have mine always showing in the lower left corner rather than floating - or the AutoCAD term "following"). Perform your work in an isometric view. Maybe leave the dynamic UCS off until you have more experience in how it behaves, and remember that when you create certain objects they are placed at the current UCS plane and a z-axis of 0.

You might also want to practice up on point filters.

Good luck