Importing Google Earth terrain into an existing dwg file

ProTmzn

Hey guys, I'm currently involved in an engineering senior design project at my univ. They provided a current site conditions dwg file, and my group and I want to import the google earth image for a better presentation of our proposed plan. Im having problems understanding the coordinate system involved in importing. When I try to import the google earth image into the existing file, the site gets imported randomly on coordinate system, and I can not even see where my original file was unless I zoom in at 0,0 x,y. The file is attached if anyone is able to let me know how, and provide a dwg that successfully implemented google earth. Thanks for any help.:(

BTW Im using Autocad Civil 3D 2010 which has a built in google earth tab. No addons are being used, although if someone knows of a tool, lease let me know

Google Earth Coords- 41°48'23.38"N 71°23'9.14"W

400 KB over forum limit, upload link http://www.mediafire.com/?in83p5cbjc8ny9g

Thanks again.

You need to define the datum prior to importing the image.

In Toolspace under the Setting tab right click on the drawing name and select Edit Drawing Setting...

Then setup the data on the Units and Zone tab.

KJB,

let me elaborate your tip:

1] issue _ADESETCRDSYS to assign a coords' system to your drawing

2] then _IMPORTGEMESH to download (from a tiltless session of GE) both 3D terrain and the draped grayscale ortoimage.

:glare:

If using Civil 3D 2010, as per the initial post, utilize the C3D settings and not vanilla AutoCAD.

This will account for a State Plane Coordinate System.

:glare:

Others should be aware that the command is IMPORTGEIMAGE.

IMPORTGEMESH will input triangulation for a DTM but only on a 100 grid.

Edited by KJB

the command is IMPORTGEIMAGE

I dare not to agree with that, sir.

_IMPORTGEMESH does import the same identical image of _IMPORTGEIMAGE, and also moreover the physical DTM.

By the way, the current Google Earth Extensions by Autodesk Labs' can import color ortoimages, but only using Map2012: having versions up to 2011, it's possible legally grab only grayscale ones...

smile.gif

Exactly right Emigrato. IMPORTGEIMAGE should be use to import the image only.

I don’t have the luxury of using the IMPORTGEMESH for several reasons. Most of our sites are in congested areas full of high spots, low spots and breaklines. A mapping quality DTM is insufficient, it must be of survey quality. Also, I need the DTM to be on specific vertical DTM, general NAVD88, although one county has their own datum based on recordations of mean sea level.

Color! :) I need my AutoCAD upgraded. Anything else new worth mentioning?

Also, I need the DTM to be on specific vertical DTM, general NAVD88

Well, I don't know US coords' system, but please notice that Civil/Map converts "on the fly" the GE terrain from LL84 to your user-defined datum.

Of course, you must BEFORE define it by means of _ADESETCRDSYS and AFTER issue the _IMPORTGEMESH command.

Here you have an interactive PDF_3D that I've created combining _IMPORTGEMESH and Acrobat Pro 8.1...

smile.gif

Not familiar with said website. I’ll assume it still of mapping quality.

Survey quality is best obtained by sending a land surveyor to the site to conduct topographic mapping.

Well, I think it's only a scale matter: if you have project purposes on little areas, you need survey (and expensive) quality.

But if you work with GIS, I mean in regional scales, the mapping (and cheap) quality of Google Earth or DEM 1/3" is adequate: deal..?

smile.gif

Oh, yeah. I’ve never work at a regional level. For me, a large project would be something in realm of a ten mile corridor. To help offset the price of surveys, every one of our offices is equipped with a survey department.

• 4 years later...

maybe it will be useful for someone, in this service "restcad.com" possible export earth terrain to AutoCAD (DXF file)