xRef Scaling and Exploding of xRef

Hi,

Most of my design work requires me to xRef an existing title block to my paperspace and vport my drawing into my titleblock in paperspace. However, when I attach my titleblock using xRef into my paperspace, the scaling went totally out. Mostly my block comes out way bigger than it is suppose to. The problem is that I have set my designs and block to function in milimeters, so basically it should scale down to the same scale right?

And also, it's quite troublesome to keep going back to my titleblock dwg to edit/save and reload it back in my design. Is there anyway to explode the xRef titleblock? Every time I tried they keep saying its an external reference. Is there any way to go around this so I can edit it without going back and forth?

Many thanks in advance!

Paperspace represents the literal size of the paper. When you create a Titleblock in Modelspace, and you're drawing everything to a 1:1 scale, this is probably where your size issue is coming from. Do you use Viewports and scale them while in Paperspace?

Also, just for reference, I made a video regarding Titleblocks a few weeks back, maybe it could be of assistance:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?62710-Another-title-block-disaster-%28&p=427502&viewfull=1#post427502

I insert a single viewport into my full blown title block to show my drawings. The trouble that comes with this is the scaling part. Its because my drawings are of a different scale then my title block, and I have to go through several troublesome calculations to get the proper scale for the output.

Here is what I do step by step, tell me if there is anything wrong

1. I set my title block units to milimeters in my titleblock.dwg, along with my design.dwg to mm.

2. I xRef my title block from titleblock.dwg file into my design.dwg paperspace.

3. The xRef titleblock is fully blown out of the paper space, so I zoom>all to get the entire view of my titleblock in the paper space.

4. I vports a single viewport into the drawing space of the titleblock, taking full use of the space.

5. The design appear too big or too small in the viewport given, so I scale the mpsace to 1:1 in order to scale it easier after.

The problem comes at this part, where after scaling, my viewport will display nothing. I have to pan around and trial an error with the scaling to find my drawing back. Doing so really waste alot of time and effort. The reason I have to scale the design is so that it follows the scale that is stated on my title block, which is usually 1:100 or 1:300. Working in mspace on paperspace is tricky since I always try not to zoom in/out as it will mess my scaling.

I hope you understand where I am going at, as it is kinda hard to explain it in words. I would gladly let you see both my files, but my company is operating on a strict security basis and I cant get the files out of my office desktop.

How is your title block blown out of paper space? Sounds like you have a page setup and the paper is smaller than what you are plotting. Your title block should be the size of your plotted paper.

You can lock the viewport, either select and right-click the viewport border Display Locked = Yes or while viewport is select or you are in Model Space through the viewport click the lock on lower right of display.

You need to take a tour through the TUTORIALS here on CADTutor.

Just so we can try and help you, dimension the title block in PS and report back the values for X and Y. And tell us what dimensions you expect to have.

For step 5, I would zoom extents in the viewport and then apply the scale you are after.

Oh, please don't explode any xrefs.