tread patterning

endlasuresh

I made a tyre and want to pattern it. I am using revolve round boss/base but this is not allowing me to draw on the tyre.

I am attaching the file so let me know where to start the sketch on this tyre.

My solidworks is 2010 version

line rubber tyre.zip

Edited by endlasuresh

suresh, what are you trying to do with that sketch? There are some issues with your sketch that prevent some things from working. Some of your lines overlap leaving these issues shown in the images. In order to extrude these you have to select regions but i suggest you fix your sketching. Stable sketches are the basis for all your models. On the left side of the sketch your tread block is outside of this tire. This prevents you from starting the tread on the tire or splitting it with your tires surface. If you fix these sketch entities you can use the "from" section for your extrude and select your tire outside, then "to" offset from surface.

tire tread3.jpg

tire tread2.jpg

tire tread4.jpg

tire tread.jpg

you will have to figure out how many treads you need to make that offset suresh. if your tread is 5mm wide and you have 62mm diameter tire you have a 194.68mm circumference. To get a 1mm to 1.5mm gap it seems you get somewhere between 30 and 32. Unfortunately the way your tread block sketch is drawn they don't nest together well. You will need to reconsider your sketch to make this work properly.

also take a look at the image below. You need to use more relations in your sketches and not rely so heavily on dimensions. It will simplify your sketch and changes later. I added lots of parallel, colinear, equal and perpendicular constraints.

tire tread5.jpg

Edited by shift1313
image added

Matt I spended some time with this tread and it has still problem,I will give try another two days. Can you tell how to pattern on 1/4 part. I mean cutting that tyre into 4 pieces.

I am asking if i can cut the tyre into four pieces. I mean a circle can be cut into 4 pieces so their would be 4 equal parts. I want to pattern on one part so the rest 3 will be same.

Let me know if you understood or not or else I post with a sample

Suresh, i dont think you gain anything by doing this. The circular pattern will be more stable if you do it around 360degrees rather than 90degrees. Trying to cut it into 4 pieces would make it more difficult.

Matt

Recently We have did one of the die by using spark method and In that four times have been sparked with this 90 degrees copper engraved. Their is no machinery that can go inside of the round plate and do that pattern shape.

I have planned this time to make four pieces ad attach them to make a round plate. All the four parts should be engraved separately.

Do you have an idea to make pattern inside of this core cavity?

Edit

Ill try through the 360 only with another design if i can

Edited by endlasuresh

Suresh, i will need a bit more info to understand. I need to understand how your mold is being pulled away from the part. Are you making 4 pieces that sweep 90degrees and pull away at 90degrees from each other? Understanding the mold and pull directions is important for the approach to modeling.

Sorry for the late reply.

The piece was pulled out from only 360 degrees plate as this was rubber so it can be removed using screw drivers easily. I planned to use four small square plates to form a big square plate and cutting the desired hole of tyre through the middle just look at the following image.

This plates are fixed before making turning and after turning they were removed separately and had to do the tread pattern design directly into the plate. After the design in the four plates they will be rejoin to form one plate and start to mold. This method is using because no way to make tread pattern design in one plate or in two plates

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/88951244.jpg/ 

In the earlier time i did with two plates and with 90 degrees of tread pattern electrode ( we design on electrode and then sended for sparking on two half plates). The spark was done four times as it is 90 degrees. I think you got understood what i meant.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/haf.jpg/ 

yeah that's correct but drawing will give perfect size.

What we do means first ill test to fit exact size and equal distances. secnd point is here most uses a graph sketch to follow while engraving. I am going to make the etching with this drawing then they follow to engrave as per the design.

I will post previous engraving type by tomorow but it was not tread pattern.

Suresh, im still not sure how to help you. If you really want to make the tire in 1/4 sections the treads are going to be tapered so much on the outside ones that it may not work. What you can do is create some planes at 45degrees to use as a pull direction and simply use the Draft feature after you have drawn the tire as above. Will this solve your problem?