my drawing is not fitting onto my paper space please help??? begginer

antons99

when im switching my drawing into paper space and then trying to print it my drawing is massive and only small part of it id in the peper space any advice would be appreciated. many thanks????

Have you selected a paper size for your plot? Are you using a scaled viewport? Naturally, a large object drawn at full size will not fit on paper. It will have to be scaled to fit your available paper size.

what im basically drawing is a 2.5 metre x 2.5 metre window frame in the drawing dimension of 1_2 but when i go to plot it all im getting on the preview is the bottom corner of my drawing and drawing template??

Welcome to the forum.

Plotting is one of the hardest things to do in AutoCAD. Ideally, you want to scale your drawing down to fit in the layout in paper space. The layout is then plotted at 1 to 1, i.e. actual size of the paper (that's why they call it paper space).

If your layout doesn't look like the plot you want, check the viewport scale. If your plot preview is off, check the paper size and the plotting scale. You may have to experiment to get the result you want.

Model space objects: draw FULL size.

Paper space viewport: assign scale; lock the display.

Paper space plot scale for metric users: 1 unit = 1 mm.

thanks for speedy reply! and thanks for the welcome!! but still struggling, i've gone right back to the beggining opened up cad , opened my new drawing with my paper template but evev when im opening my template that is even blown up so all i can see is the bottom corner, I dont no how to get that to normal size.

Zip and attach the file here.

How to get correclty scaled viewports should have been covered in your class.

The things I will be looking for in your file -

Have you modeled 1:1 scale in modelspace.

Have you set up your template so that you have appropriate border(s) at 1:1 scale in Paperspace Layouts.

Have you selected an appropriate scale for your paperspace viewport.

Viewport locked at appropriate scale.

Set for your printer?

Appropriate layer use?

floaters and other issues?

When a starting template is set up properly - you don't even need to do a Plot (print) Preview - you know with confidence that it will plot as intended. Set it once (your template) and forget it.

The situation I am in is the only cad expierince I have is at night school were i did my level 2, and paper space etc just wasnt covered. I have been asked to come off the tools and go to work in the office as the cad man has left giving me only 1 days quick show of what he does so my knowledge is very basic, and i dont even no how to zip the file. On friday when I was working with the cad man the template was fine. but now this morning i am opening it up and it blown up. As you can see i am in that deep end here ha

2.5 x 2.5 1/2 scale = 1.25m and A1 sheet is 841mm long so your still bigger with 1.25 you probably need 1/4 scale

Draw a box in layout 800x560 this is a A1 sheet!!! Mview and create a window within it then zoom e zoom c 4XP them plot from paperspace at 1:1 scale use say window pick box preview should be correct now.

• 12 years later...

I have drawing as an extra subject for my college degree and we weren't really taught much other than just a few tools. I am facing a similar issue here. When trying to export my drawing as a pdf it appears only at the base of the pdf and the rest of the top is blank. When I tried exporting again, my lines disappeared and only the dimensions were visible in the pdf, I need to submit the pdf by next week, NEED HELP PLEASE !!