AutoCAD Drawing Area - what color do you use?

CADTutor

What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?

• Black (the original)
    • White (a common choice)
    • Cream (the default up to 2010)
    • Dark Blue-Grey (the current default)
    • Any other color... (tell us which color you use)

69,69,69 Background in both Model and Paper spaces. Thanks to Lee Mac, I am now using a 134 crosshair in model space and yellow in paper space.

• 3 weeks later...

Black in model, white in paper....I use drawings from architects that must use white in model space, it's the only way to see some of the colors they use... totally screws up my perception....

Going from the board (paper) to black was "different" now, black background and staying in the "dark."

Gave up the electric eraser and duster too! :lol:

Black is the best among the color because its easy to see some of the small objects especially if the lines that you are going to use are light colors.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything black excepts my print preview. I cant stand large crosshairs so i have the set to 3. Cross hairs are magenta in layout and white in model.

Always black. With red crosshairs at maximum size. The crosshairs annoy the crap out of my boss, but it's what I'm used to.

I have my crosshairs at 100%. Always have, always will (unless ACAD disables that capability).

Unless your boss is working on your computer, what's it to him? 8)

He doesn't usually, but we use GoToMeeting to go over new developments and other things, so he has to look at it, and sometimes will take over my computer.

He's 2000 miles away from me, so it doesn't happen often...

He doesn't usually, but we use GoToMeeting to go over new developments and other things, so he has to look at it, and sometimes will take over my computer.

He's 2000 miles away from me, so it doesn't happen often...

Ahh, I understand. I feel the same way when I have to work on anyone else's computer. Someone else's settings make me feel...inept?

Ahh, I understand. I feel the same way when I have to work on anyone else's computer. Someone else's settings make me feel...inept?

Haha, I know what you mean. You should see my co-workers try and use my ACAD. They all have 100% curser size, and can't see mine half the time. Its quite funny.

Me too. And my favorite was a boss at my old company used buttons for EVERYTHING!!!!! And he'd try to get on my computer and use my CUI, where none of the common commands have buttons. He was so lost. And he was the one that made fun of ME for using almost all keyboard commands. I can use anyone's computer, he can only use his.

Haha, I know what you mean. You should see my co-workers try and use my ACAD. They all have 100% curser size, and can't see mine half the time. Its quite funny.

What's really bad is that I'm the one people come to for help, but I mostly type and have very few icons/toolbars. If I'm standing over them telling them how to do something, I usually end up telling them "just type this or that", or to open the properties manager(from which I do most of my editing), because they have ribbons and toolbars all over the place.

About a year ago I would activate sticky keys and made all my common commands single key strokes so I wouldnt have to hit betwee. (Similar to the alias set up in Inventor). Needless to say, they asked if I could swap it back because they were at such a loss.

My only problem is that I'm the only one in the office that bothers to really customize my CUI, especially with shortcut commands and the like. So sometimes I'll get on someone else's computer and wonder why the 4th button on the mouse doesn't invoke the copy command. Or why MP is no longer the shortcut for MatchProp.

But atleast I'm not searching for buttons all day.

Yeah, I forget that not everyone has QS for qsave. That's probably my worst, because I hit that all the time, and because if I write a script for anyone else to run with Scriptpro, I have to remember to type out qsave at the end. (or else Scriptpro will run on all 800 dwgs without really having done anything:ouch: !) Took me a few times getting it wrong to even figure that out.

I use black for model space and paper space.

I tried usind white for paper space, which is nice because you can tell the difference, but it's a strain to see the colors, especially yellow.

It would be cool if AutoCAD could have the option to go black and white in paper space and work with your pen settings to show line weights instead of colors.

I use black for model space and paper space.

I tried usind white for paper space, which is nice because you can tell the difference, but it's a strain to see the colors, especially yellow.

It would be cool if AutoCAD could have the option to go black and white in paper space and work with your pen settings to show line weights instead of colors.

You can set it up to have a WYSIWYG view in the layout. In the upper right of the page setup manager, you'll see a pick-box that says "display plot styles", which is somewhat misleading. If you have a plot style assigned to your drawing, it will essentially change your view of the layout to be black & white (or however you normally plot), using the assigned pen setting.

Edited by mammajamma

Not to hijack the thread, but I got a chance to try that out and it did change the layout to black and white, but it didn't work with my pen settings to show line weights. I have a pen settings chosen - right above the pick box for "display pen settings" in the page set up manager, but it doesn't seem to be displaying correctly.