AutoCAD Drawing Area - what color do you use?

CADTutor

What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?

• Black (the original)
    • White (a common choice)
    • Cream (the default up to 2010)
    • Dark Blue-Grey (the current default)
    • Any other color... (tell us which color you use)

The color of the AutoCAD drawing area has changed quite a bit over the years. Do you always use the color Autodesk has chosen for you or do you have your own personal preference?

Take the poll and let's see what color CADTutor members prefer.

If you use a non-standard color, tell us what it is and why you use it.

• Like 1

For those of you who have never changed the background color or didn't even know you could, here's how:

Go the the Application Menu (big red "A") and click the "Settings" button.

1. In the Options dialog box, click on the "Display" tab.

2. Click the "Colors..." button to display the "Drawing Window Colors" dialog.

3. Check that the Context is set to "2D model space" and then click "Uniform background" in the Interface element list.

4. Select a color.

5. Click the "Apply & Close" button.

drawing-area-colour.png

You will now see the selected color displayed as the drawing area background. You might want to change the color of the grid to match.

Tuxedo black is all I've ever used. The only thing I changed was the background color for the command line to also be black. You know, because black is what gentlemen use.

Oh black all the way for model space, now in paper space I use white and I usually have it set to display with plotstyles as to get a WYSIWYG preview.

I use colour 253 - a light grey.

When I started using AutoCAD, the combination of CRT monitors and flickering fluorescent light made black too bright. White was even more bright, so I settled for a light grey, that reminded me (and my eyes) of the drawing board. I have now got used to it, and even though the technology of monitors is completely different, why fix what is not broken?

Black in model space, but I usually have white in paper space. Most of my customers want black and white prints so I do that to see how they are going to look.

I have a friend however (poor demented fellow), who draws on a dark green background. Says it's easier on his eyes. To each his own I guess.

I use black in the model because it's what I've been used to for 25 years and I find it easier on the eyes. Plus all my colors show well.

I use white on the layouts. Why? Because paper is white, silly...

I still use black for MS and Layouts, just seems to be the easiest on my eyes. I have tried the other colors and couldn't find one I liked.

I have different color cursors depending on MS or Layouts to help me remember where I am.

I use a cursor size of 4, with a toggle to go 100% for the times I want it to extend across the screen

Started using AutoCAD in 1988.

Edited by rkent
year was wrong

I still use black for MS and Layouts, just seems to be the easiest on my eyes. I have tried the other colors and couldn't find one I liked.

I have different color cursors depending on MS or Layouts to help me remember where I am.

I use a cursor size of 4, with a toggle to go 100% for the times I want it to extend across the screen

Started using AutoCAD in 1989.

I use red for my curser, easy on the eyes, especially with a black back ground

Well, I'm a creature of habit - Black for Model space white for Paper/ Layout space (with the Display Plot Styles turned on) so I can see what going to plot. Then for Block editing, it's grey so that I actually determine the different 'spaces' I'm working in.

As I say, creature of habit and I still find the best way for 95% of my work is Command Aliases rather than trawling through reams of menus to get to a command - give me 104 Keys any day... By the way, Congrats goes to Autodesk for the way they've enhanced the use of Aliases with the listing of the available commands according to what I've typed in. Even more reason for you to try out Aliases these days - you can learn a lot about AutoCAD's little hidden treasures...

Did anyone else notice that in 2012 if your background is black and you select black for the crosshairs it leaves them white.............

used to be a fun game to play on people.....

I use black in model and a very dark purple (near black) in layout so I can differentiat between the two. Staring at a light/white color background is a quick way to a bad headache.

Did anyone else notice that in 2012 if your background is black and you select black for the crosshairs it leaves them white.............

used to be a fun game to play on people.....

I guess not lol