Penn Foster Structural Plate 2

armydude2211

While the image looks OK a closer examination of what you have done can be best accomplished by posting an actual DWG file for review and comment.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• armydude2211

• chloe2012

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I have attached the file. This if one of 5 projects I have to complete by June and they are killing me. I am not familiar with the terminology at all and have to look everything up. I know I have a lot more to add to this plate before it is complete, however as it is there is a few things I have concerns about.

I am not sure the girders should not be seen, though I have included them as its easier to delete them than add them in. Also for the second elevation, the concrete slab goes slightly below the C-channels and I am unsure this is correct.

While I love working with AutoCAD the terminology and the round about way Penn Foster describes their projects has me moving slowly through the projects and these forums are a lifesaver!

Edited by chloe2012

Thanks for the DWG file. I'll be back with comments.

What terminology are you referring to?

A few of us here have some concerns about the Penn-Foster CAD course. I'll leave that discussion for another time.

Basic terms that I assume are standard in the engineering industry. I am in the Oil and Gas Industry as a geologist, but I have a minor in GIS and when I was applying for GIS jobs they always asked for AutoCAD, so I decided to do an online course and found Penn Foster, that and I love learning software. I have no engineering knowledge, so terms like keyway and other basic terms I have to google to find out what they supposed to look like. How they have information throughout the booklet is very confusing and misleading as to what information they want on each plate.

A couple of things caught my eye right off the bat.

1. Why do you have a 6 inch space between the bottom of your slab and the 8" layer of sand below it? I would expect the sand to be directly below the slab to act as a support.

2. You have concrete on the second and third floors sitting right on top of the C9x20 beams. If the contractor poured cement it would fall to the slab below because you neglected to include the steel decking that must sit atop the beams.

3. You can assign a linetype of "Hidden" to the layer your C9's are on. This would still leave them visible but you would be indicating the beams are behind something such as steel cladding. Do I need to provide an image? The beams would also have to be shown in better detail (the flange) and the clips that tie the beams to the columns would have to be shown as well.

4. There appears to be some rebar missing in your footings.

Let's stop here for the moment. OK?

Well chloe2012 you are not only learning AutoCAD you are learning a little about structural, civil, and HVAC as you progress through each P-F project. Perhaps they should have included a syllabus in the project PDF file.

1. That's how I had it initially, then I saw a few of the drawings here and assumed I had it wrong.

2. I did not know about the decking. I will add that to the drawing.

3. I will change the linetype to hidden as you suggest. Would I also need to put the girders on a hidden linetype? I was going to show that, but I thought I had to show it as a detail on another plate so I thought I could have left it out of this drawing. So I will include that as well.

4. I emailed the school before I founf this forum about the rebar, as I did no understand what they meant by 2" overlap in their description and am awaiting to hear back from them.

I have seen in some drawings on other threads that a bolt is shown on this plate, I was unsure if to show it on this plate as I believe they ask for that as a detail on a later plate.

Yes, I am afraid I bit of probably too much to chew. Now I just want to get through the program with my certificate :). Unfortunately I can be a bit of a perfectionist and a nerd so I like things to be done properly as much as I just want to complete the program.

Again, if other people haven't already, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to help us out!

As I recall isn't the garage supposed to be enclosed in vertical siding affixed to the exterior?

The overlap in the rebar is when one piece extends beyond the end of another.

The drawing is meant to be plotted at a scale of 1/8"=1'-0". Putting anything other than a line to represent the centerline of a bolt will be so small when printed it will appear as a blob on your drawing.

Re: helping out. You're entirely welcomed Chloe.

Disclaimer: Any images posted by me were originally created by another forum member and not of my own doing. He has given me permission to post images as I see fit.

So you think I should still show the ties and clips from the beams to the channels in this drawing or leave it for a plate later one that shows details? And just but a line for the bolt?

That's what it says for the entrance in the booklet:

A supply entrance to the lower floor is on the building’s

south side. It’s a sliding glass door centered between

columns 3 and 4. The rough opening for the door is 12′

wide and 8′ high. Above the rough openings is a steel

I-beam header, W10 × 45. The header is placed so that

the flanges are horizontal and the web is vertical. The

height of the header is 10 1/8″.

The clips are sufficiently large enough to be seen even on a 1/8" scale drawing (aren't they 4x6 and 1/2" thick?).

The line for the bolt, as you put it, would only serve to designate the centerline of the bolt. Again, at 1/8" scale drawing an entire bolt, washer and nut is not worth the time and effort because it will print too small to be noticeable. Save that kind of detail, well, for the detail. Makes sense doesn't it? Details are normally drawn at much larger scales to show things that cannot be easily shown at a smaller scale.

Do you have a question about the supply entrance?

Yes you are correct. I will work on the additions/changes to the drawing over the weekend, as well as the other plates. That does make sense and is why I left those details out. I just saw it on one of the images in another thread and thought I would ask.

No questions about the supply opening. I put that there cause I thought that is what you were referring to when you mentioned the garage.

Hopefully I can finish all 5 projects within the allotted time period.

I think Penn-Foster gives the student way more latitude in what is acceptable to submit as a finished drawing than some of us might. I've seen images of drawings posted where I think the student should get a grade of "C" only to have the student come back and say they got an "A". I guess I must be too picky. LOL

I wish you well in your completion of all the projects. Stop by anytime with more questions if and when the need arises. Good luck.

I think Penn-Foster gives the student way more latitude in what is acceptable to submit as a finished drawing than some of us might. I've seen images of drawings posted where I think the student should get a grade of "C" only to have the student come back and say they got an "A". I guess I must be too picky. LOL

I wish you well in your completion of all the projects. Stop by anytime with more questions if and when the need arises. Good luck.

Grades other than "A" are not politically correct. You could damage the student's self esteem and traumatize him if you told him he did it wrong. ........... ............ .................... ................... ...............:rofl: Sorry, that was as long as I could keep a straight face.

I doubt that even crossed Penn-Foster's mind. I think it is mainly all about the money. Get them in, get them signed on, get the money then get them out the door as quickly as possible with the least amount of contact. Next! Now serving number 23,567.

I don't think the projects have changed much, if at all, in the last five years.

I don't think so either, I just couldn't resist. My wife is a kindergarten teacher in public schools, and she wages a constant battle with the "PC" police. She sent a note home the other day to one kid's parents with a list of phonics she wanted them to coach him on. The note said their son was struggling with understanding how to sound out certain letter combinations (exact quote) and that it would help if the could give him extra practice at home. They were in the principal's office the next day to complain about the "strongly worded and insulting letter" that teacher had sent home about their brilliant son. The quote I gave was what they found to be strongly worded and insulting.

Hi,

So this may be a very dumb question....all of the plates are being drawn in model space and submitted in the same .dwg file....am I correct?

If this is the case, when it says the details are to be drawn 4x its actual size, this means scaling will be done in model space and if something is 6" in length it will be 2' in length and not reflect its true length....what's the sense in that? unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!

There is no sense in that since AutoCAD has had the ability to create paper space layouts for several years. It is one of the major aspects of the P-F course that I just don't understand how they can justify neglecting.