Invalid Error: Cannot insert blocks or copy and paste into the drawing

ljhignett

Hi,

I work at my local council as a trainee engineer, we recently recieved a drawing back from a consultant. Being the trainee i have to 'fix' it. The issue is when i try to insert our own blocks ie (title block) it comes up with invalid and wont perform the command. Same thing if i try to copy and paste anything into the drawing.

The only way ive found around this issue (if i must get something into the drawing) is to draft it up in another drawing then xref it in. I am guessing there must be a glitch with this file?

I am currently using 2009 version of autocad, the drawing was saved in 2011, but it has been saved in compatibility mode for 2009.

I have tried a number of things, the block im inserting isn't creating a loop so thats not the issue. I've opened the drawing and saved it back to an earlier file type, that hasn't helped. Tried resetting my pgp file as i thought it might be my acad as our computers at work are below or just at minimum standards and they are constantly crashing.

Would anyone be able to help me? or suggest something to try?

Cheers :D

The acad.pgp file stores command aliases and as such would have no affect on block insertions.

What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving when you try to insert your own title block?

Have you tried bringing the title block in via the Design Center?

Have you tried converting the file with Autodesk's TrueView? It's kind of spotty, but sometimes it works.

Another option is to ask the consultant to export the file rather than save it down.