Pellipse resolustion

ColinPearson

**I can't type today - title shouldread Pellipse Resolution

**LOL, still can't type...

I know this should be easy, but can't figure out yet.

How do I change the resolution of a pellipse so that I can get many nodes for import into FEA?

Thanks all, and keep in mind that the weekend is CLOSE!

Edited by ColinPearson

I am making this up as I go along, but as far as I know, Pellipse only enables a Polyline to be drawn instead of an ellipse. There is no facility to increase nodes.

However, I had a go, and by successively using Pedit with the Fit Option, then exploding the polyline, and rejoining with Pedit, the number of nodes does increase.

MoreNodes.jpg

Can you post a screen shot so we can see?

I don't have a dwg at hand at the moment and I have not tried it. Lemmee try it out and I'll let you know. Heck, I's hopin' you'd know it off the top o' your head.;)

I don't have a dwg at hand at the moment and I have not tried it. Lemmee try it out and I'll let you know. Heck, I's hopin' you'd know it off the top o' your head.;)

I am working with an old version of AutoCAD, so there are new buttons that I have never heard of. Perhaps you could guide the OP to these new buttons and give a before and after screen shot to demonstrate the effect of more segments, shown by more grip nodes.

I am working with an old version of AutoCAD, so there are new buttons that I have never heard of. Perhaps you could guide the OP to these new buttons and give a before and after screen shot to demonstrate the effect of more segments, shown by more grip nodes.

Now that I am on my computer with AutoCAD available.....

The answer to my own question in post #3 is Nope, nothing to do with it, won't change anything except how the elipse looks when you need a regen.

The answer for the OP's question is, change the value of the system variable PELLIPSE to 1. First, F1 pellipse then read.

Pellipse = 0 - Creates a true ellipse object and has grips only at center and each axis end.

Pellipse = 1 - Creates a series of joined polyline arcs with a grip at each end and midpoint of each arc.

I suspect that the OP had already found out that by changing Pellipse to 1, the ellipse command was drawing a polyline instead of a true Ellipse.

But the OP was wanting more nodes to the polyline - hence my suggestion which would seem to work, unless someone knows better. The process seems to be a reverse Weed.

I didn't assume OP new whether pellipse was a system variable or a command, or that OP had changed the value off the default.

Your solution is a workable one though. I hope OP's comment about the weekend doesn't mean his deadline is already passed.:lol:

Can you explain what Reverse Weed means? I have this mental image of somebody blowing a bong like a tuba.:shock: (Personal experience not used for reference)

I sure am glad I grew up in the sixties and got it over with.:roll:o:)

I may change OP to Opie. Big Andy Griffith fan back in the day.;)

When you want to reduce the number of nodes in a polyline, there is a Lisp called "Weed", which decreases the number of nodes.

The OP wants to increase the number of nodes - hence "reverse weeding".

I hope you don't take this out of context :shock:

I suspect that the OP is having a good weekend, and might have a good chuckle on the next day of work. :D

When you want to reduce the number of nodes in a polyline, there is a Lisp called "Weed", which decreases the number of nodes.

The OP wants to increase the number of nodes - hence "reverse weeding".

I hope you don't take this out of context :shock:

I suspect that the OP is having a good weekend, and might have a good chuckle on the next day of work. :D

Just run the lisp backwards?:)

I had a chuckle myself. Have a good weekend.

@Eldon - laughing my a** off this morning indeed. I checked out to take my kiddo camping all weekend and found this thread when I showed up at work. I'm off to the other screen right now to check your Pedit suggestion; I think that will Fit my needs. Sorry. Terrible, terrible pun, but it couldn't be avoided.

@ Dana - I also had to know what a Reverse Weed was... that one threw me for a loop. LOL And nope, no deadlines have passed yet :)

Thanks folks for the replies, and especially for the image of someone blowing a bong like a tuba. All Mondays should start with something like this.