Minor Subdivision of a parcel

pjimmy74

Hi guys, I may be late in posting this. I looked around and finally found this forum. I have a project that requires dividing lots with autocad. The question is like this "Your client has asked that you divide the parcel into 3 or 4 lots (he would like 4 lots. You are to use the planning and subdivision regulation as well as the mapping standards for the State." I have the autocad file required for the parcel. I have very little knowledge in autocad and all i can do is draw lines from pt to pt. Can someone help me with this? I have downloaded the State's mapping standards. My big problem is how to use autocad to go about it.Project 1.dwg

It might be helpful if we also had access to the planning and subdivision regs. What is the minimum lot size in square feet?

What options are there for access to the site for a road? What is the criteria for minimum road width? Are sidewalks and curbs required?

Is the 15 ft. ingress/egress roadway staying or can it be used as part of one lot?

How is it that you have a project that requires AutoCAD to complete but you have little to no experience with the program? What class is this?

How is it that you have a project that requires AutoCAD to complete but you have little to no experience with the program? What class is this?

It's subdivison design. I had changed majors and haven't taken any cad courses yet.

Well the first thing you better know is AutoCAD is not something you learn overnight. When is this project due?

Do you know the zone the property is located in? The zone will tell us what the minimum lot size requirements are. It will also tell us what the setbacks are.

What information is available from the City of Greensboro regarding their requirements re minimum street width?

The PDF link really just explains what is supposed to be shown on a typical site plan.

The Land Development Ordinance link is very comprehensive and not something I care to read through in its entirety; I did scan a few of the pages though regarding subdivisions.

Edited by ReMark

Are you doing this in plain AutoCad or are you supposed to be using the parcel tools in AutoCad Civil 3D? If it is a subdivision design course, I would be inclined to think the latter.

I don't know your state planning laws and aren't going to read them, although from looking at the AutoCad file it shouldn't be too hard for you to subdivide that block of land into 4 lots.

The block of land is nearly 3 acres, so minimum lot size is unlikely to be an issue at all. Likewise, minimum frontage won't be a problem.

The right of way easement (not sure why you Americans call it an ingress/egress :P but okay) for the Howard Buck property is probably the biggest thing to worry about. If that easement has to remain and can't be shifted, that reduces the useful area for development in the SE corner.

Is there going to be a new road through the subdivision (industrial, due to the size of the blocks?) or are the newly created lots simply going to use the existing Hollow Road & Garrison Hollow Road for access? As it looks like an industrial subdivision, are the roads urrouning the lot to be subdivided wide enough to support large trucks servicing the site.

The next part of the subdivision design process would be to deal with water, sewer and stormwater (including any run off channels and possibly a retarding basin on site given the site area) and put in place appropriate easements for these so all lots are covered. Eventually you would need to put in the building limit easements also, although these won't be a critical part of the design for a site of that size with so few lots.

We have several towns where I live in Connecticut (USofA) that require a minimum of a one acre lot. Why? Because these towns do not have sewers; they utilize septic systems. Thus, a site that is 3 acres in size would not accommodate four lots. That is why I asked about which "zone" this subdivision fell in.

I have my doubts about this land being zoned for industrial use with an existing cemetery smack dab in the middle of it. Not many communities would allow for a property like this to be used for industrial purposes unless the town/city were so small that it was land poor. Example: the city I live in consists of 13 square miles of land mass. I'll bet Greensboro, North Carolina is very much larger.

The street R.O.W. would/should be plenty wide to provide for the placement of the main water line, sanitary sewer (if septic systems are forbidden) and storm sewer. I don't see a need for an easement for any of those unless you plan on land-locking one of the parcels and granting an easement for a driveway to it. In the U.S. I believe a "retarding basin" is referred to as a "retention basin". That would be up to the wetlands commission regulations. Do you have a copy?

You might also want to check the regulations to see if a "green-way" is part of new subdivision development. A green-way is a swath of trees and other plantings used to separate adjoining pieces of property. A buffer zone if you will. It also helps to replace trees and shrubs that are removed during the construction phase of the project.

I agree about that 15' ingress/egress roadway (do we know if that is just a dirt road?) being a problem.

I think your main problem at the moment has to do with two things. 1) What program is best suited for the task and 2) how quickly you can get up to speed using said program. Then you can worry about the actual subdivision design.

It would help us, to help you, if you started providing answers to our questions too. Thanks.