Make a curved surface a flat surface.

AWW

If you look in the attached PDF, I have an elliptical wall that also has changes in elevation. call it a compound radius if you will. What I have to do is to make a wall cap to go on top of the wall. I know, sounds fun.....I have the surface on the right of the PDF and i need to figure out how i can take that shape and have it lay flat so that i can cut this shape out on my CNC. i know I can use the FLATSHOT command, but this will not give me the true shape of the board. I hope that this makes some sense. please let me know if further explaination is needed.

elliptical wall.pdf

In modern CAD programs like Autodesk Inventor you could have the software automatically generate a flat pattern.

In AutoCAD (without add-ins) you will have to layout a "development" (typically associated with sheet metal, but also packaging and work like yours).

Look for a chapter titled Developments in you technical drawing reference book - or search for this topic on the web.

Hey, thanks for the response. what is the term "developments" for? i just want to follow you. I do have Pro E wildfire if that would help me at all. been awhile since i have used it though.

What would a guy need to do to find an "add-in" for AutoCAD? maybe that is what you are telling me that i need to look for.

You might not have run into the term developments if your education was in the architectural field, but any good technical drafting book should have a chapter on developments. ie Giesecke, Technical Drawing 12 ed Chapter 19 - Intersections and Developments.

Model your part as sheet metal (even though it isn't) in Pro/E and Pro will give you the flat pattern.