inserting a BOM into a drawing

rhader

Insert>Tables>Bill of materials.

this will be a standard BOM linked to a few variables. You can add columns, link to properties etc and save it out. At work i created part and assembly templates with custom properties that autofill BOM and Title block info.

what does the 'purple' colored dimenisions indicate when doing a drawing in Solid Works?

they change the darkness of the actual print of the lines. and is a little frustrating. I can get rid of it so it seems by re-inserting the object view... but I would expect that I can get rid of it other ways??

i doesnt happen all the time but most of the objects if I move them around the dimension lines turn purple. Even the text with no outside associations changes colour either.

any thoughts on how I can change this? without re-doing the entire drawing?

thx.

That doesnt have anything to do with the BOM right? Are you actually in a drawing and not a part? In a part file when using DimXpert the dimensions are purple. When in a drawing they should be black(or whatever color you gave them in the document properties). The only exception is when they turn yellow and have errors. I have never seen them turn purple.

Can you take a screen capture and show us?

the 'purple' text and dimensions came up pretty quick actually.

I inserted the parts views as '3 views' originally but only required a top view as this is purely a pnael that is being cut. and as soon as I started moving the images around to organize the drawing the dimension lines seemed to not agree.... they would move with the image but some would be offset and no longer with the image for instance.

if you delete the dimension lines and re-do the dimension it will appear in the correct position but will be purple. you can see that on this particular sheet only ONE of the parts is in the appropriate 'grey' color. when you print this in black and white it is very noticable.

2011-10-20_091251.jpg

It appears that SW is randomly changing the style that is applied to the dimension lines and the text for whatever reason. no idea why. bur when I change it back it appears to be OK...

I am not sure, but could it be something with DimXpert dimensions? or maybe dimensions marked for drawing? Purple color dimensions are controled by design table also. maybe some of these reasons are the case?