ways to draw in cad

craven arms

right guys ive jut started learning cad i just want to know what are the different ways of drawing in cad,and which is best.i would ask my college but there on half term thanks in advance for any imput..........

yes and no, there are some various ways to get to certain end results and there are various end results but frankly it's all the same stuff for the most part, where one might use a button, another might use a command .....

im pretty green to all this but what i can make out you got

absolute x,y coordinates

relative x,y coordinates

relative polar

dymamic input

are these the different ways to draw............

The 'best way' is whatever works best foy you and what you are doing. I use absolute and dynamic coordinates all the time, although I don't manually input the data in that form (i.e. I would not manually draw a line from 121.12,154.2,126.3 to 1254.25, 124.36, 1.2 etc I would draw a line between points or other objects I already have at those points). I dislike dynamic input and don't use it.

Most common tools I would use are polyline, offset and the polar/osnaps features. As well as general text (always mtext) tools.

Ways to draw? Draw anyway that works best for you just make sure to draw your objects in model space at FULL size (don't scale them as you would on a drafting board), make use of paper space layouts and viewports, and create/use a template specifically setup with your text styles, layers, dimension styles and anything else you would normally use in each and every new drawing.

I've recently had to take an assessment test to qualify for a job interview. The test was on-line and consisted of 47 questions. I got 39 of them correct. The 8 I missed almost all had to do with doing things with the Ribbon. And why did I miss them? Because I don't like using the Ribbon and don't really know all the nuances about using AutoCAD from the Ribbon.

My point is that everybody goes their own way with software, especially AutoCAD because there is so many time more than one way of doing something to acheive the same results. You will find that there is no "best" or even "correct" way of drawing if the end results are accurate and what you're after.

You ask 50 people this question and you'll get 50 answers. Put these same 50 people in a room and tell them to hammer out a "best practices" manual, and each and every one of them will back up against the wall, draw his guns and swear that his way is the right way and everybody else is wrong.

The funny thing is, all of them will be right. Each has his own habits, likes and dislikes, ways of doing things, and if it gets the job done on time, it really doesn't make any difference. With time and experience you will find your own way. Be open to suggestions and ideas, but don't let somebody lead you down the proverbial garden path as to what is right or best. Your best way may not be the same as someone else's, doesn't make it wrong if it works for you. I'm sure that flamers are striking their matches already, but that's ok. They'll get over it, I already have.

It depends on your own approach.

Let's take an example that you need to draw a line of 5 units. Now if you need to draw the line at a particular location

1. you can type the coordinate for the first location and for next point calculate the coordinate and put as input(absolute).

2 you can type the coordinate for the first location and for next point using the relative coordinate just give the length and the angle(absolute).

3. you can type the coordinate for the first location and for next point using the relative coordinate just give the length and the angle(relative).

Their can be numerous possibilities and it depends which you one you like, their are cases where most of people use one method and remaining use the others. You have to select the way which makes the work easier for you and thanks to Autodesk for providing such a bag full of different options for the same task.

-CNatka