how do I change the material/image applied to an object AutoCAD 2012?

thethirddimension

Hi, I am having difficulty working out how to change the image applied to the surface of an object, there must be a quick way than what I am doing! In AutoCAD 2012 I was able to simply apply a different material/image out of my library no questions asked, however now it is saying this cannot be done due to the history of the object. As a result I am deleting the applied material out of my library completely (which is an image), saving the drawing and closing it. Then when I open it again the object has no material applied and it will then allow me to apply a different one, but surely this isn't the only way to do this! Surley there is a way to switch materials/images quickly as it used to be very simple on earlier versions of AutoCAD?

Please note I can switch materials easily when it comes to the AuotCAD library, but when I create materials of images that's I encounter this problem.

Any help with this matter will be most appreciated, as it is seriously costing me a lot of wasted time.

Re: remove material from an object. I'm not 100% sure (I don't work with materials in my job) but...

Type MATERIALATTACH. You should get an Options dialog box where you can detach it.

Another option.

Right-click on the material itself and Choose Delete to remove the material definition from the current drawing.

Let us know if either one of these work for you or not.

Thanks for the advice mate however they are options I have already expored, and your idea of having to actually delete the material is one I currently adopt. I remember using AutoCAD 2010, I could flick through my libary of materials and switch the applied material to a surface as many times as I liked at the click of a button, which was why I believed 2010 would be even easier! But I cannot find a 'remove material' buttom, but it must exist?? anyway it's not the end of the world as there are alternative ways, it's just dam annoying!

Thansk again for your help mate most appreciated, keep an eye out for me in the future...... just follow the threads wih no replys!! :)

When I return to work on Monday I'll have access to 2012 (right now I'm using 2011 remotely) so I'll be able to give your problem some further attention. Can you tell me exactly what you have done, or tried to do, so I can then attempt to replicate the problem? Or, if you can, post a sample drawing with instructions on what you were attempting to do that failed. Thanks.

I have always just selected the new material I wanted and it would replace the old once applied. Sounds like a bug in AutoCAD.

Is this a custom material?

dam sent that by mistake! anyway i shall continue... I am a Space Planner and create virtual stores for a large gaming company. So I have to apply a lot of imagery such as all the games on a fixture for example. To do this I have to create a lot of my own materials based on these images, and it it these that it will not let me replace. The material is only applied to one face, and when i try to change it with another (such as when a new title comes out) it states something along the lines that it is not possible due to the shape having history so the action cannot be performed. As a result i am having to delete the applied image from the drawing and closing it, when i open it the image will then be removed from the object and it will let me apply a new one. As you can imagine this is so time consuming when I have potentially hundreds of titles on display in the store!

Hopefully this answers your qustions on what exactly is happening,

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Select the object you applied that material.

then go to properties.

you will see a material changing option,

just change the style.