Autocad 2000, trouble with ordinate dimensioning

berol

Flat rectangular plate 6" x 12", 1/4" thick. Absolute datum point X=0.000 and Y=0.000 is at the upper left hand corner. Want to indicate the coordinates of the circle center that is to be drilled into the plate i e showing X=?.???? and Y=?.????. I have tried using the ordinate icon on the toolbar which seems to give me some numbers that are different than when I linear dimension along the X axis and then along the Y axis to the center of the circle on my drawing. Am I trying to use the wrong command and how does the command know where my absolute datum is located. Am a beginner so please help me stemp by step. Thanks!

Wouldn't it be better if the lower left hand corner of your plate was located at X=0.0000/Y=0.0000? You do want your coordinates to be positive in both directions right?

You might try switching dynamic mode OFF (DYNMODE). Enter your coordinate in this form #3,3 or whatever the coordinates are for the center point of your circle.

For ordinate dimensions to work, you'll need either set a ucs so that zero/zero is at where ever your zero point is on your workpiece, or move your workpiece so that it's datum point is at zero/zero on the world ucs.

Many years ago there was lisp floating around called "datum dims" or something to that effect. It would take care of that for you. Did a quick search but didn't find it. You might spend some time googling for it.

Edited by Jack_O'neill
why can't i find the misspelled words before I post?

Attach the file here - especially with the apparent different dimensions.

Once you learn a couple if tricks there is a quick dimension ordinate tool that makes it all, well, very quick.

But it might help to demonstrate the process using YOUR actual work.

For ordinate dimensions to work' date=' you'll need either set a ucs so that zero/zero is at where every your zero point is on your workpiece, or move your workpiece so that it's datum point is at zero/zero on the world ucs.[/quote']

Jack is correct, however there is an alternative if you are only dealing with one or two dimensions. After placing the dimension you can pick, then stretch the dimension's origin grip point to the desired datum. If more than a few I would follow Jacks advice.