Changes made to lineweights don't "stick" when working with xrefs

The Mad Cadder

I'm working with xrefs. As of yesterday, the "Display Lineweight" option was checked on all the files.

My process is, open the xref; find out the layer it (the object in question) is on, adjust that layer by using the LA command. I click on "open xref" and make my adjustments to the lineweights at that point. Then I click save changes, and a dialog box appears saying, this will save all the edit changes. At that point, (after indicating I want to save the changes,) the file reverts back to it's pre-edited state, before the lineweights were adjusted.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

If the "Display Lineweights" option is checked, in a normal file, everything works as it should.

Thanks in advance,

TMC

Thanks so much for the reply. In both spaces, Model and paper, VISRETAIN = 1

My friend mentioned moving the xrefs to a new file, and renaming the file.... What do you think?? How would that work Just copy and paste the xref with no additional attachments :unsure: to the xref?

I know it sounds like a stupid question... :oops:

If you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

What does _VISRETAIN = ? Is this in Model Space or Paper Space?

I just noticed that in one of the xrefs, some of line is on an empty layer. But when I hover my mouse over the line, the resulting tooltip indicates it's on that layer. But if you look in the layer manager, it indicates this layer is empty. I have a lot of layers like this.

Today I find out, (it's always something new) :x that after looking at the xrefs, the lineweights did change in the xrefs. *But* back in the host file, there's no change in the lineweight.

Is that how lineweights are supposed to work? :huh:

The "visretain" value in Paperspace, and Modelspace of the Host file, is = to 1.

Thanks in advance,

TMC

Edited by The Mad Cadder

Is it possible to post the files here?

I talked to my instructor, and he preferred that I *not* post his files here. (Or probably anywhere on the net.) I will respect his wishes.

I guess you will need to get the answer from your instructor as I cannot duplicate your problem. I may have more time next week to work on it.

Can you create something on your own that exhibits this behavior and post it here?

I guess you will need to get the answer from your instructor as I cannot duplicate your problem. I may have more time next week to work on it.

Can you create something on your own that exhibits this behavior and post it here?

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can build something of my own.

Well, I made a similar .dwg to the extent that it had a host drawing, and xrefs attached to the host. It's a vintage key chain. You may remember them. (or not.) :) At any rate, I was able to change the lineweights in the xrefs, and that change was reflected in the host drawing. Sooo, I was not able to replicate what was happening in the other drawing. Now it works. Go figure. Needless to say, his was a much more complicated drawing, than what I put together; so that may have something to do with it.

TMC

I'm working with xrefs. As of yesterday, the "Display Lineweight" option was checked on all the files.

My process is, open the xref; find out the layer it (the object in question) is on, adjust that layer by using the LA command. I click on "open xref" and make my adjustments to the lineweights at that point. Then I click save changes, and a dialog box appears saying, this will save all the edit changes. At that point, (after indicating I want to save the changes,) the file reverts back to it's pre-edited state, before the lineweights were adjusted.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

If the "Display Lineweights" option is checked, in a normal file, everything works as it should.

Thanks in advance,

TMC

With Visretain set to 1 you are telling the drawing to keep the old settings and not update to the new ones. So after you change the drawing I believe you will need to reload the xref file. Or change visretain to 0, modify the xref file, it will reload, change visretain back to 1.

I haven't run into this myself so I am just guessing.