Modelling objects round a 3D sphere

mikeymore

Helle everybody, I am modelling on an object which exists of a sphere with a lot of lightbulbs around it. I made asphere and 1 light surrounded by 6 lightbulbs. My intension is to make a perfect symmitrical sphere of lightbulbs.

I work with Autocad Mechanical 2012 (not for so long) and quit new into the world of CAD. I worked with the command array, and that worked fine, but I don't know how to repeat the cluster of 7 bulbs all over the sphere.

Any one an ide??

Thanks in advance.

drwaing.zip

mmm strange, if I try here the file is fine. It's a rar file into a zipfile, to be under 500 kb for zipfiles. I will post the original dwg file if its possible, but now its about 1,17 mb large and therefor on this forum not allowed. Can I reduce the size in Acad easily??

Did you purge the file before zipping it? That probably still won't get it down to a size small enough to post if you are starting at 1.7MB.

No I didn't. I was surfing on the net and found a model what I want to make. It's a sphere divided in faces with 6 corners, thats the way to make a perfect round sphere with even parts. I don't know if it can be made in ACAD (mechanical) ??? On every part of the sphere I want to place an object, thats the meaning of my question. Thanx already!

Yesss, thanx seant, thats exactly what I ment. I also found on the web that a sphere with equel parts is called a Dodecahedron. See images, I made in Maya. Now is the question, how to make a certain sphere in Acad and assign a sphere on each part???Dodecahedron-02.jpgI cant do it with 3D array isn't??

Dodecahedron-01.jpg

... a sphere with equel parts is called a Dodecahedron.

No - that is a polyhedron with 12 flat faces. You could divide up a sphere into many more faces.

I started to take a look at your file and then realized that you used a 3rd party app to compress.

Why not use Windows?

@theralsaint: Thanks for the post, but thats not exactly what I ment. The spheres must have exact the same distance to eachother, so on every side of the sphere. It can be made by a Dodecaheron, exact the same triangles on every point of a sphere. I can made in Maya, by hand, but I want to do it the exact way in Acad.

@JD mather: My Acad file wasn't that important, thats made by a sphere and some lightbulbs I want to connect to it. That was before you told me that it is a polyhedron (I am newbee to this mathematical stuff)

I just want to attach lightbulbs (but in cad a sphere is also good enough) exact to the middle of each triangle. My questions:

1) how to make this sphere in Acad?

2) Can I attach (by array or something) a sphere in the middle of the triangle, or do I have to do this by hand??

Thanks all for the replies!

Oops I posted a reply, but its lost.... Anyway, thanks for all the replies, the only thing that I want to know now is:

Can I change the params in Acad to make such polyhedron?? I am quit new to CAD.

I want to put on the centre of each triangle a sphere. Do I have to do that by hand?? I guess it can snap with a point on the sphere with the centrepoint of the triangle?

@jack-oneill: actually the triacontakaienneahedron won't be it.... I also have troubles to say the dinosaurs names in my sons dino-book haha

Oops I posted a reply, but its lost.... Anyway, thanks for all the replies, the only thing that I want to know now is:

Can I change the params in Acad to make such polyhedron?? I am quit new to CAD.

I want to put on the centre of each triangle a sphere. Do I have to do that by hand?? I guess it can snap with a point on the sphere with the centrepoint of the triangle?

@jack-oneill: actually the triacontakaienneahedron won't be it.... I also have troubles to say the dinosaurs names in my sons dino-book haha

Lol...I can't pronounce it either but it has 39 facets! Can you imagine what a pain in the katookus it would be to figure out how to put 39 equal facets on a sphere....:unsure:

AutoCAD does not have any native commands to produce that polyhedron – as primitive geometry. Those shapes can be modeled(i.e., multi step process), see this thread as reference:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50206

I used the model in that thread to derived some Arc/Triangles that may offer a basis for further geodesics type analysis. Perhaps spheres could be positioned by copying to the appropriate osnap point.

Automating the process further would require custom programming.

Geodesic.dwg