PC or Mac

lube

Hi

I dont know anything about AutoCAD and any other similar software so excuse me if this sounds stupid to you.

I want to buy a Mac for my father (for christmas) and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I'm an audio engineer and I can say Mac is way better for DAWs like Logic, Protools, Ableton and others than PC, but I'm not sure if Mac is better than PC for AutoCAD. I think my father is using a basic autocad from 2007 (sorry I'm confused because I saw too many different versions of autocad) and I also want to upgrade him to the last one (which I believe is 2012).

So yeah PC or Mac. Can you also tell me tec specs for it.

Also is there such a thing like AutoCAD 2012? (is there a lite version?) (or something cheaper).

If you recommend me Mac. Can you open a PC saved project under Mac OS?

Hope this is the right place for it. (if not Im sorry)

Hope didnt **** anybody. :)

Cheers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• f700es

• resullins

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far AutoCAD for PC is the best, offers the most commands, etc. However, if the Mac is the best for everything else then go the Mac route, especially if his use of AutoCAD is at the beginners stage. There is an AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac out, but I believe only in the USA, so check it out before buying the computer to make sure. LT is about $995, AutoCAD is about $4000.

An AutoCAD file can be opened on a Mac or a PC.

Oh, welcome to the forum and you are a good son.

Autodesk lists the minimum specs for its products so go to their website for the specifics.

Hey cheers for the fast response!

I know I can check in on the website but I was asking for some tech specs for a decent performance.

PS: hes been using it for 4-5 years already so I dont think he is a beginner.

Because of your father's familiarity with AutoCAD on a PC I would strongly recommend you stick with a PC and not go the Mac route. AutoCAD for Mac is NOT, I repeat, NOT the same program as the PC version.

I guess I didn't mean beginner, but does he use the basics or is he more advanced in it use?

Performance specs will depend on the intended purpose. If a lot of 3D is performed and rendering is being performed then higher GPU specs are in order. If general 2D usage then just about any GPU will work well, just don't settle for an integrated graphics card, you need a discrete GPU in there. Beyond that, AutoCAD only uses one processor so buying a quad core for AutoCAD is a waste, however other programs are usually being run so it does help in that respect. A recent i3, i5, or i7 from intel will be more than adequate, with Win7 64 bit, and 6MB ram. If this is a laptop get the 7200 rpm harddrive if buying a conventional hd.

Again, make sure LT runs on 64 bit OS, I would assume it does, but you know how that goes.

I run 2012 on my laptop at home on a 4 year old Dell with 3GB ram, Win7-32 bit, discrete GPU and it runs great for smallish 2D drawings. I do some 3D on it as well and as long as the file is small it works great on that also. So anything newer is going to perform pretty well unless your dad is really working on large files, lots of layouts, big 3D models.

I can't talk to the Mac's as I haven't used one for AutoCAD, but since you are buying a new computer it should be more than adequate, just upgrade the memory, probably the most important upgrade, at least for PC's after a discrete GPU.

With PCs running Win7 you will probably have to turn off all the eye candy, it looks nice but it really slows autocad down in most setups.

I went back to your first posting and realized that you are the Mac person and he is on a PC. I would vote with Remark on this one and strongly suggest the PC. Unless he uses AutoCAD for hobby or general interest only then I wouldn't throw him that big of a curve right now. He may have other programs, printers, etc that will only work on a PC, although they might not work on Win7 as well, especially hardware.

I haven't actually sat down on a Mac to demo autocad, perhaps Remark has and knows first hand how different the two are.

Yes, there is an AutoCAD 2012 (full version) and AutoCAD LT 2012. The LT version sells for about one quarter of what the full version sells for.

You can find recommended system specs as well as a features matrix comparing both versions at the AutoDesk website.

If you go with a PC I second what rkent said regarding a 64-bit system. Definitely the way to go. As far as the OS you'll find Win7 Home Premium will be just fine for your father's needs but be forewarned that in all likelihood your father will not be able to run AutoCAD 2007 on his new computer.

Also find out if your dad uses lisp routines, they won't work with LT and he will not be happy or productive not being able to use his old routines. Biggest differences between the two are LT doesn't do 3D and it doesn't use Lisp routines.

Spanner in the works I have been playing with Corelcad it comes in both Pc and Mac versions is really hard to tell its not autocad. It runs lisp but I am still trying to confirm that will not run lisp with dcl's.

Down load the trail version for the mac and have a look.

I've never used one but from what I hear, if a Mac was a car, it would run faster and get much better gas mileage than the PC but would only run on about 10 percent of the roads.

I've never used one but from what I hear' date=' if a Mac was a car, it would run faster and get much better gas mileage than the PC but would only run on about 10 percent of the roads.[/quote']

Nope not true, they both run the exact same if the specs are similar, the Mac will just cost more

As for the specs be careful, look at say a new Macbook Air, they come with Intel graphics. These are no goes for AutoCAD, maybe OK for LT but not for the full version. They also start at $999 for the 11.6" unit. Now look at say a Dell XPS 15z which has a larger screen, faster core i5, 3 times the ram, larger hdd, dedicated 1 gb nVidia GT525 graphics and $100 less. The dell is also $300 less than the 13" Mac Book Pro and still better spec'ed (the 13" MBP has an Intel graphics card like the air). To get a mac book with a dedicated graphics card you spend $1,800 USD.

Just throwing out some stats.

So one buys a Mac because 1) they have money to burn and 2) they want to be the coolest dude on the block? Oh, and 3) they like belonging to cliques?

Yes that is one reason (or 2) ;)

But they are good in audio and not because the system is better but maybe because the software only runs on OSX. As for print and media, well that horse (myth) is dead. Similar to the old powerpc powered Macs (G3, G4 and G5 based units). They dropped it for x86 based hardware for a reason. There is a rumor that Apple might drop their Pro desktop line soon. The companies new bread and butter is personal electronics and "portable" computers. You can't be seen in a coffee shop with a pro desktop ;)

Edited by f700es
edit: left out a word "portable"

If you go with a PC I second what rkent said regarding a 64-bit system. Definitely the way to go. As far as the OS you'll find Win7 Home Premium will be just fine for your father's needs but be forewarned that in all likelihood your father will not be able to run AutoCAD 2007 on his new computer.

Having just gotten to go through the hassle of trying to upgrade to 64 bit. DON'T DO IT! There are a lot of plotters that don't have drivers for 64 bit, not to mention PDF issues. But yes, go PC.

I disagree. 64-bit IS the way to go. It does not make sense to stay with a 32-bit system. If your printer or plotter is so old that you can't get a 64-bit driver for it then it is time to upgrade.

And I would agree with you most of the time. But there are lot of things that do not like 64 bit yet. I've had issues with AC, Adobe, and device drivers with a 64 bit machine. And it's not always possible to update a plotter, especially if it still works. We have a pretty nice plotter, and no $10 grand in the budget to get a new one. It sucks, but those are the facts for a lot of people. I personally just don't think it's worth updating until the rest of the world catches up a little more.

I agree with Remark, do not stay on a 32-bit system. I understand about drivers and such but being on 32-bit is really a bottleneck on any new system from the last 2 years. The 3gb ram bottleneck is the worst.