Loading of cargo in container (possible with lsp)?

julcad

dear all,

i been using autocad for about 5 years now, mainly for modelling design for manufacturing.Now, i am in operation position incharge of container loading from malaysia to middle east.I've been using autocad to make the 3D models of cargo and place it in a 3D container so as to lay out my loading plan.

I've been looking at commercial container loading software which utilises special programmed algorithm to optimized eg.MaxLOAD but none provide support of non-sqaure type cargo.By so saying,my cargo consists of various shapes including trapeziod shape and some involves intersection of cargo.

Any one could come out with a routine (supposed to be a very complex 1),or any suggestions? we could kick start with a 3D container,say 6Mx 2.4mx2.4m, and the routine will auto optimise the loading of say 3D con of a r=100mm & height=300mm to the fullest?

thank you for your attention.

rgds,

julcad

I've looked into an app like this in the past. It is a daunting enough task with standardized containers and very accurate ship dimensions. Add in non uniform packaging, optimal loading sequences and port loading schedules and you have 1 whale of a project.

I have written some fairly simple storage capcity model routines in the past and really thought I would go nuts before they was completed.

I would have thought that there were some apps out there already that were up to the task. Very high dollar stuff I would guess. -David

thanks for replying, yes,i've tested some software which can do that but only supports square carton boxes/oil barrels cylinder shape.Cheapest i can get is not even 2% of autocad 2005 but as i mentioned b4,they only manage square type shape.Been looking into customization as well but no progress till date although 've approached more than 5 companies.I guess there is too much variables to control for non standard size.

oh..You were trying to load a cargo ship! i only need to load 1 container with around 1500 unts of cargo.

thanks again for paying attention to my post.

As David mentioned, this is a very complex task, even for relatively simple shapes.

As you have found, even the commercially available software only deals with simple cubic shapes.

I can think of a few appproaches to this but certainly couldn't guarantee that anyone of them would guarantee to give you the absolute optimimum loading pattern, and that would only deal with cubic or cylindrical shapes. Anything out with those forms would be an incredible programming task.

well, i am aware of the enormous amount of programming task involved in this one,but i will keep on trying to find a solution.BTW,thanks for taking time to reply my post.

rgds,

julcad

We have Optitext 'nesting' software...but it's for 2D shapes. It nests shapes for efficient cutting of fabric on our Eastman cutting system. Have you looked into other 2D 'nesting' applications, to see if they could be adapted for your use.

The worst part of Optitext is that's it's a stand alone program and not an Autocad extension. It does a very poor job of importing drawings (DXF files from Autocad drawings).

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know of an Autocad nesting application?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know of an Autocad nesting application?

anything related would be greatly appreciated,i am not aware of the autocad nesting apps though.

rgds,

julcad

hmm, no sure about that,care to enligthen me ?i may consider learning inventor from scratch as we have unused inventor license.

rgds,

julcad

• 5 months later...

well any more suggestion? perhaps some1 come across? btw, my cargo are

1)3D trapezoid

2)3D rectangular

the rest more complex shape i will use manual simulation for now.

• 1 month later...
dear all,

i been using autocad for about 5 years now, mainly for modelling design for manufacturing.Now, i am in operation position incharge of container loading from malaysia to middle east.I've been using autocad to make the 3D models of cargo and place it in a 3D container so as to lay out my loading plan.

I've been looking at commercial container loading software which utilises special programmed algorithm to optimized eg.MaxLOAD but none provide support of non-sqaure type cargo.By so saying,my cargo consists of various shapes including trapeziod shape and some involves intersection of cargo.

Any one could come out with a routine (supposed to be a very complex 1),or any suggestions? we could kick start with a 3D container,say 6Mx 2.4mx2.4m, and the routine will auto optimise the loading of say 3D con of a r=100mm & height=300mm to the fullest?

thank you for your attention.

rgds,

julcad

correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying your problem is finding an easy way to put specified shapes (small containers) into a large container and then finding the volume filled, and the volume left?

• 3 months later...

partially correct, finding the volume is going to be a good start.What i am after is to find the best way to load 'small container" into the "large container".Total loable quantity varies depends on how you load it which is a very time consuming task if to be done manually,usually involved few times of try & error even if you are very familiar with it.Then you have to check to make sure the cargos do not exceed container volume, because that is what its going to be in real life.

thanks for replying, its been too long, lol

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I have the same problem today. I have load my cargo with Zpack in order to find the best way to load small container and it work well.

The problem is that the web application isn't free and I can't paid for that. Do you know a free software to do it ?

Thanks