Structural Drafting With Autocad, help with the last 3 plates

paisis123

ok just to be clear here, ive drawn this view as if i was standing on the east side of the building. therefore im only showing 4 columns. there are two drains, one between A and B and another between 1 and 2. ok so does the roof slant towards the A B drain, or towards the 1 2 drain?

I would have to check the instructions regarding the section the roof drain is being shown in. However, there is only ONE roof drain not two.

Section A (Plate 3) is cut through the long axis of the structure meaning there will be five columns shown. It's as if the viewer was standing on the south side of the section line looking north.

Capture roof wire mesh 1.jpg ok so i added the wire mesh and made the roof so that it looks like itis going away from me, as if it were heading to the drain at he far side of the building. this is what i understand it too look like. do you think that the roof looks good?

llike you said, there will only be one drain. i put one at the far end. between 2 and 3. you cant see it because it is behind everything.

ok so ive read into plate 4. now from my understanding of this is that im just drawing plate 1 again, except i will be circling one of the channel beams connections to the girder. and then the last thing would be to put dimensions and the elevations. is it really that simple?

The roof drain is supposed to be shown in Section A (Plate 3). Section A is cut through the long axis of the building which would be the 72 foot length. P-F tells us on page 14 of the instructions that the drain is located between columns 2 and 3 and rows A & B. Since they don't define what "between" actually means let's assume it is equidistant between column centerlines. Thus, in plan view, this is where the roof drain would be located.

P-F Structural Drain in roof.jpg

Personally I think it is pretty stupid to locate a roof drain in one corner of the building and in this case even more so since on page 2 of the instructions the student is told that "the sides of the building are 25" to 30" higher than the roof's surface and the roof is sloped towards the building's center."

Based on that last line, in my opinion, the roof drain should have been located between rows B and C and either just east or west of column centerline 3 (to avoid the W12x45 below). That would make more sense.

BTW...there is no indication in the instructions whatsoever as to what happens once the roof drain has penetrated the roof slab. There is no pipe passing vertically through the floors below to direct rainwater to a storm drain or to the ground. Another example of how poorly thought out these projects are. Yes, I know, purists will counter that P-F is not teaching civil, structural, electrical, etc. design/drafting; they're teaching AutoCAD. But shouldn't the projects at least make sense from a real world practical point of view? Little things like this just cause unnecessary confusion. OK...I think I need another cup of coffee before I move on. Be right back.

Edited by ReMark

I'm baaaaaack.

OK...this is how most students show the roof drain.

P-F Slope roof with drain.jpg

The drain falls midway between column 2 and 3 centerlines passes through the roof and terminates. I guess P-F is using the roof drain as sort of a poor man's shower.:lol:

Note that in this student's drawing the outside walls terminate 24" above the roof surface not the 25" to 30" as per the project instructions (page 2). Also the slab thickness at either end is 6" while at the centerline of the drain it is 4 9/32". Not sure how he arrived at that.

So the question becomes how do we address the slope of the roof? I think the instructions are ambiguous thus at this point I'd suggest contacting your instructor to get some clarification. Let us know what he/she says. I'd be really interested. Or you can give me his email address and I'll ask.

Edited by ReMark

• 3 weeks later...

I set the roof up the way i think is accurate from reading through this forum and looking over the roof plans. my course expired a couple weeks ago so i cant call for help. its not like they ever helped me before. i only called in once and they just told me to email them my unfinished plates for review. they didnt help me when i went over the plate with them step by step, and i even called them out on a few obvious mistakes, he told me something about how people pass these tests every day without problems. you have helped me verry much, and i understand what you are saying. i have fixed some more things on the plates.

On plate 2 i was wondering if i show the channel beams. i also need some help understanding how to tie a detail bubble to circled detail like what they ask me to do in plate 3 and 4 where they want me to show detail D and C on page 5 and 6. Also on PAGE 19 they tell me to detail rebar. i have no clue where this rebar and certain other things are that they ask me to find the dimensions for.

On plate 2 i was wondering if i show the channel beams. i also need some help understanding how to tie a detail bubble to circled detail like what they ask me to do in plate 3 and 4 where they want me to show detail D and C on page 5 and 6. Also on PAGE 19 they tell me to detail rebar. i have no clue where this rebar and certain other things are that they ask me to find the dimensions for.

Re: Plate 2. Yes, you should show the channel beams.

Re: Detail bubble. You draw a circle around the area that will appear in the referenced detail. You also add a call out in the form of a circle with a horizontal line through it. Above the line will be the detail letter (ex. - F ); below the line will be the the number of the page the detail can be found on (ex. - 6). Then you draw a line from the bubble to the circle that you drew around the area. Like this...

Detail Bubble.JPG

I'm pretty sure this was all explained in the supplementary document you received regarding engineering drawing and design.

Re: rebar. The instructions on page 19 call for the student to show the rebar in details D1 and F. You'll call out the size and spacing of the rebar (ex. - #4 @ 12" O.C. Both Ways). Rebar is typically used in footings, piers and slabs. You'll have to show rebar and call it out on Plates 6 and 7 as well.

Edited by ReMark

Ok, thank you so much for your help on this test. I definitely would not have gotten through without you. I got a 100% on the test.

• 4 years later...
On 9/11/2012 at 5:59 AM, ReMark said:

Pier Example.PNG

An example of a pier, footing and pile cap. Notice the hatching? Just enough to get the point across without being obtrusive.

hello! I'm new in this forum and I'm stuck in the Structural project i have done plate 1 ,2 ,3 but i guess i have to fix some details in my footing ,, the instructions has some missing information and also I'm no into Architecture world. I'm glad i have found this forum and now I'm reading all the thereat and i see that you have been hellping alot of the students have been feeling like me ...FRUSTRATED i have been feeling in quit because i dont understand alot of points of this instructions but thank to you  i see hope lol....

i will keep reading the thereat and take some thing that can give me ideas about this project 

thanks for the time you take for help!!!!

On 6/11/2016 at 4:00 PM, thekenbob1 said:

I set the roof up the way i think is accurate from reading through this forum and looking over the roof plans. my course expired a couple weeks ago so i cant call for help. its not like they ever helped me before. i only called in once and they just told me to email them my unfinished plates for review. they didnt help me when i went over the plate with them step by step, and i even called them out on a few obvious mistakes, he told me something about how people pass these tests every day without problems. you have helped me verry much, and i understand what you are saying. i have fixed some more things on the plates.

wow!! they just answer same to me !! made me feel like i was the problem because i was having problems understanding the instructions , i have been complaining that i dont understand and there are missing informations and that confuse me alot... the instructor just said there get projects done every days with no complains -_-

5 hours ago, ReMark said:

Thank you for your kind words Yirlesa.  If you have any questions I will try my best to assist you. 

hello remark yes actually i have a lot questing but reading the thereat helped me ,,, even thought those projects was from long time ago ,, i guess the another students made the project in model space but this time seem like they request it in paper space my problem now they don't give an info (or maybe i miss it) about height text .. I'm having problems because the text in model space doesn't appear in paper space .. was checking in YouTube tutorial and recommend to put the text in paper space no model space ,, it avoid alot of problems but im no sure what is the height text i should use 

thanks 

All linework should be created in model space while all dimensions and text should be in paper space.  Well, at least, that is what I would recommend.  As for the height of your paper space text, assuming you used the default template for AutoCAD drawings (acad.dwt),  and since it is based on the Imperial not Metric system of dimensioning, I would suggest a text height of 0.125 (the decimal equivalent of 1/8th inch).  One other suggestion.  Text and dimensions should be on their own separate layers with distinctly different colors.  Consult the instructions P-F provided you.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1