Structural Drafting With Autocad, help with the last 3 plates

paisis123

HELLO AGAIN CAD TUTOR! (you guys are awesome):shock:

As the title imply i finished the first 4 plates of my project and now im starting the last 3 plates.

In these last three plates it involves having 3 Detail drawings of certain aspects of the building and drawing them with greater detail. but i ask on what am i drawing exactly. the instructions have information randomly filled out all over the book and that makes no sense at all.

does anyone have a picture of the last three plates to verify on what should be done? (i have looked through the forums and only found pics of plates 1-4, not 5-7) :geek:

and i ask "what is a size description?"

heres the booklet that im reading and trying to understand :glare:

Structural booklet.pdf

also note that as i wait for a reply ill try to draw these free hand on a piece of paper then wasting my time in autocad before i actually get the drawing correct.

i thank anyone and everyone in advance. :roll:

Are you talking about plates 5, 6 and 7 (Roof details, Connection details and Foundation details respectively)?

The instructions are fairly straightforward in what they are asking the student to detail. Basically you are going to draw some details then take portions of them and enlarge them further. These enlarged details will contain more information than could be shown at the smaller scale.

Re: size descriptions is just what it means. If you are calling out a beam or a column you need to say what size/shape it is. For example: Steel Column W12x152, Exterior Column 22'-5" Lg.

I would suggest using a "tag" to identify the objects in your drawings then create a table to one side listing in one column the "tag" number and in the second column the size description. A tag is a circle with a number in it and a line pointing to the object. You can find a dynamic block of this type on your tool palette on the Annotation tab.

Edited by ReMark

thanks for the quick reply ReMark. (gives virtual cookie, topped with awesomeness)

i have another question though.

what exactly is "welded wire fabric" and how do u draw it? it asks me to draw it.

also for this project its all about Zooming in onto the specified areas to show more objects? that makes it simpler. and have u found any reference pitures? i was seraching but no cigar.....:unsure:

"Welded wire fabric is really steel wire, much like a screen, where all the points of contact where the wires touch each other have been spot welded together."

Typically this is shown as a dashed line and everywhere there is a gap an "X" is depicted.

Of course I have drawings of the plates but I want to see what you can come up with first. Give it your best shot. I don't like to be disappointed though. I have full faith and confidence in your ability to do it. Go...read...then do.

okay gotcha. ill attempt to do plate 5 with my limited knowledge.

then ill post it so we can compare notes and/or adjustments as needed.

thanks for all the help. (after these last 3 plates, I graduate! so whose hiring as of now?)

You've basically done some of this already when you drew the other plates.

Who's hiring? Not sure. Look at some of the job boards or craigslist or try over at Cadalyst magazine (they have job postings).

okay i have finished plate 5. i have done what basically the book told me to do.

Here is plate 5. I finished after 4 hours of work. (slow work, im a bad procrastinator)

ROOF DETAILS-P5.dwg

if u see any adjustments that need to be made please tell me. thanks in advance.:unsure:

First question. You have a mixture of text sizes for your callouts, why? I also notice that you didn't use the tag I mentioned (a bubble with a number inside). More professional looking in my opinion.

Detail "C" should have two areas circled that reference Details C1 and C2. Both of these details should be of a scale that make them easily readable. The detail to the right of C2 (the one you dimensioned) is so small it is barely readable. Each detail should also have the scale called out as well.

I would also make use of hatching to distinguish important features like the cap plate for instance. BTW, wouldn't the flashing extend up and over the cap?

Excellent deduction Watson. I cant seem to scale it correctly as it changes the length of the dimensions. for example when i scale it up it makes a 1 inch line 4 inches long. is there a way to enlarge it with out affecting the scale?

and I looked for the bubble and found was the Multileader. i don't know how to activate the bubble in the multileader settings (maybe i missed it?):unsure:

and yes i should do the hatching to distinguish between parts. but i also have to mention that the steel plate for the cap detail is 14" long while the I beam is 13-3/4" so there not much room.

and regarding more of the flashing, in the book it shows something like flashing , it calls it galvanized metal clap with cleats. (page 30, fig. 21-56) i tried to follow that but as you can see i have failed. (okay maybe a C+ :oops:)

There's something amiss with your beam cross-section. It does not appear to have been drawn to the right dimensions.

Back up. What exactly did you scale? Since you are doing everything in model space when you create your enlarged detail and try to dimension it AutoCAD assumes it is drawn to the same scale as the original. Thus, if a line was originally 3" long and you enlarged it by a factor of 4 in your detail AutoCAD will dimension it as being 12" long. Do you understand that? This is one of the reason why annotative scaling is so useful but it requires that the CAD tech make use of paper space layouts and viewports which it seems you are not utilizing. Is that correct?

Wouldn't the steel sheathing on the outside of your column be attached vertically not horizontally?

yes maybe the scaling is throwing the whole drawing off. i just wanted to enlarge it with out affecting diamentions. i tried using the scale command but that didnt work. (im always confused on scale):?

and maybe i need to redo the column? the drawing instructions are vague and don't really show on what your actually trying to do.

and thanks for the thought provoking questions. unlike other people i like being challenged!:lol:

My point is that when you scale something in model space and try to dimension it in model space you WILL affect the dimensions. One way to overcome this is to create a dimension style that uses a scale factor. This can be changed in your dimension style on the FIT tab where it says "Scale for dimension features" > "Use overall scale factor". In your case I am guessing this would be a scale factor of 4. This new dimension style is used only to dimension the enlarged details. Use your normal dimension style for objects that have not been scaled. Another option would be to use your normal dimension style BUT override the dimension AutoCAD uses by substituting the correct dimension.

• Like 1

okay thanks for the help!:)

ill make the adjustments and ill start on the final 2 plates. wish me luck!

and how do substitute the correct dimension after you enlarge it? that will the easiest course of action for me to do.

I have Plate 6 if you want to look at it.8)

CONNECTION DETAILS-P6.dwg

i want you to see if the drawing is right and what kind of connection is there for Detail D1? i know how to do the connection from the girder to the Channel beam. but to the steel column to the girder is like missing. can you shed some light to this?:cry:

and you forgot to show me your pic of plate 5!:glare:

I just started my final plate (plate 7). i was reading the instructions on what to include before i start and i found something that's confusing. if you go to page 21 of the booklet and then to number 15 and 16, it asks for a 4" drain and the clearances of the 4" drain, respectably. :?

Structural booklet.pdf

How do you draw the drain? (never saw one in my booklet or in real life)

Can you provide any details on it?

also i have to ask about Plate E1. it looks like theirs alot info to provide, but i don't know what certain things are or there descriptions. like for example, what is an anchor bolt? how do you draw it? etc.:cry:

any answers or rough drawings are appreciated!8)

You can find images of roof drains on the Internet via Google.

Anchor bolts are used to bolt columns into concrete slabs. Draw the bolt, washer and hex nut. Depending on the view (plan or elevation) each part of the anchor bolt will look different.