How to Make dimensions follow your Drawing in AUTOCAD ?

fpanjsh4

I have a drawing in paper space. When I move the drawing the dimensions and texts do not move with it. Is there something I can use where the dimensions and stuff follow the drawing .

Annotation (upper panel) -> dimension style -> new -> when the pop up comes remember to select: " Annotative" -> continue. That should make the trick. When you change the annotative scale type: "re" in model so you can see how it looks. It should automatically update in layouts.

E: Same works with text and multileaders. Check out the video which I uploaded:

[video=youtube;aPD-vK5f4g0]

Edited by wirty91
add

Personally I would never dimension or draw in Paper space, however there will be others on this forum

that will say they prefer to dimension in paper space.

I have never seen any reason to not do all your drawing, dimensions text in model space.

Hope this helps.

Dodge

so is it not advisable to do dimensioning in paperspace? (just a quick question)

That depends on how you do your drafting. I can see the good and bad for either way, but personally I feel that putting everything in modelspace just clutters it up and makes it hard to navigate. To me, modelspace is for modeling/drawing and paperspace is for placing notes and dimensions to prepare the drawing for plotting. At work, I forbade my CAD users from placing any dimensions or text in modelspace (unless it was absolutely necessary and they have to prove that it was required).

This actually works perfectly well for us since we are moving to SolidWorks and that is exactly how SW handles drawings.

Anywho, regardless of where you place your dimensions, if they are not associated to the geometry you will still need to manually adjust the dimensions when you move your objects. The only real benefit I can see to putting dimensions in modelspace is that you can move the objects and some of the dimensions at the same time.

If you are going to do all your dimensioning in your paper space layout (which I do by the way) then you need to make your dimensions associative which is not the same as annotative. That way, if you change your geometry in model space your paper space dimensions will follow along.

Proponents of this method will say it is a much simpler to work with and avoids the hassle of dealing with scale lists and annotative system variables. This method is not for everyone though and there are some real benefits to annotative text and dimensions that some disciplines, like architectural design/drafting, find quite appealing. You are free to use any method that works best for you and the company you work for.

You can try that all you want, the but simple fact is that AutoCAD just isn't intelligent enough to do it consistently.

Works pretty good here, the problem is only certain snap points can be used and Node is not recognized by an associative dimension nor can you snap to another dimension.

I see now. I guess it all depends on your personal preference and workflow. I do all things in model space (the novice that I am), I think I should try practicing laying out in paper space. Thank you for all your replies.

Laying what out in paper space?

Paper space was created for users to put their title block and border, general notes and legend basically. I know one CAD tech who draws everything in paper space but all he draws are schematic wiring diagrams (i.e. - no scale) so he can get away with doing it.

Laying what out in paper space?

Paper space was created for users to put their title block and border, general notes and legend basically. I know one CAD tech who draws everything in paper space but all he draws are schematic wiring diagrams (i.e. - no scale) so he can get away with doing it.

By laying out, that is exactly what i meant. title blocks, notes, arrangement of viewports, etc.