file extension acad.dwt not selected in template dialog box

hello

Rank beginner using 2010 version autocad. When starting a new drawing using the New command > Opening up Template dialog box. I don't see the file extension acad.dwt in the Name drop down list. What I do see in the Template dialog box while looking & working its way down in the Name drop down list is acad - name plot sytles acad - name plot styles 3d acad & acad 3d and so on contuning down the line. While giving it a file name to save it high lighed in blue is acad.dwt.

Under File type in the Template dialog box there are 3 options. They are Drawing Template (*dwt) Drawing (*dwg) & Standard (*dws). In the Drafting settings dialog box Object Snap tab is opened all options are selected. On the staus bar Object Snaps & Dynamic Input are both on. When starting a new drawing the file extention acad. dwt has been on and working for weeks up intill zipping and unzipping files yesterday for a tutorial that I am working on in regards to 2010 autocad software. If there are any possible suggestions in advance can you possibly use easy and undertsandable terms. Something to get this to work for me. thank you.

If I understand your situation correctly, you are looking for a template file named acad.dwt, but the dialog box doesn't show this file as an option.

In your main drawing window, right-click and choose Options. Click on the first tab, Files. Open the Template Settings. There you can define where AutoCAD looks for template files and which is the default template.

If this doesn't address your situation, please restate your situation in more detail. Are you opening a drawing with the dialog box or saving one?

Sounds like the tutorial you unzipped reset your autocad profile to match the files and support paths needed for the lessons. As CyberAngel suggest check the options supporting files paths and maybe even the profile tab and see if there is a new profile listed there. With out knowing or seeing more on your system that's all I can suggest.

Re CyberAngel & Murph_map

In responce to my thread. I have tried looking at the files tab as was instructed and searching for the defaults being so much there I can not distinguish what the defaults are. I am trying to open up a new drawing. I have also tried the profile tab and what I see there highlighted in blue is Initial Set Up Profile Under the Unnamed Profile heading. Any other responces would be greatly appreciated in this situation. I am most likely not providing enough information but not having many other alternatives. thank you.

I have tried looking at the files tab as was instructed and searching for the defaults being so much there I can not distinguish what the defaults are.

I realize that this is a difficult concept for beginners to grasp. AutoCAD is a hideously complex piece of software. Much of it is customizable, which only adds to the complexity. If you break it down to individual tasks, however, it becomes manageable.

The Files tab is there for you to customize where you store the support files. Each type of support file has a path (or set of paths) to a folder (or folders) where AutoCAD can look for the files it needs. Forget about all the other support files for the moment, you don't need to worry about them.

Look again at the Options|Files|Template Settings item. Press the + symbol next to it. That is standard Windows symbology for a list of sub-items. The first sub-item is Drawing Template File Location. That should have another + next to it. Open that list and you should get a list of paths (there may be only one). When you ask AutoCAD to create a new drawing from a template, it will look in the first folder in that list for templates. If it doesn't find any there, it will look in the second folder, and so on.

Another item in Template Settings is Default Template File Name for QNEW. If you ask for a new drawing without providing a template, AutoCAD will look for the file (or files) given in that list. The procedure is very similar to the one above, except that it's looking for individual files instead of folders.