AutoCAD2012 3D Solid/Surface into 3d Face

the_mann

Hi all

I have created a model, by lofting a shape along a curved spline path. The model propertie is currently '3d Solid' what I want to do is generate a 3d Face off of this model.

I have exploded the 3d model and that gives me a surface, bu the dilema is that I do not khow how to 'trace' or turn this surface into a 3d face format. What I was thinking is that if the surface could be exploded into induvidual elements I would be able to draw over the surface with the 3d face toold and then have my model, but a issue with this is that I cant explode the surface into elementary elements AND the 3dface tool cant generate curves....

In short would any body be able to tell me how to turn a 3D model into a 3D Face or a Surface into a 3d Face?

The programme I am exporting the model into accepts the following:

DXF Entity SAP2000 Objects

1 POINT Point

2 LINE Frame/NLink

3 3DFACE Area

4 3DPOLYLINE Solid

5 CIRCLE Line(s)

6 ARC Line(s)

Note: To be able to import the dxf entities as solids in SAP2000, you must draw them in AutoCAD as meshed polygons or meshed solids.

^^^I could also export the model as a solid but again do not khow how to get a meshsed polygon or meshed solid from my 3d solid, when I do meshsmooth, the model basically turns into a rectangle and looses its detail.

As you can see it is number 3 I am working on. I have managed to create simple 3d faces and get them into the programme but the 3dface tool is very primiative and I cant see how I would create the curves that my model has, I cant seem to form a grid system either to use the 3dface - everything seems to draw in space....

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

I'm working at another site today using 2010 not my usual 2012 so I can't check that but I did come across a lisp routine that will convert a 3D solid object to a 3D face object if you think that might help.

I'm working at another site today using 2010 not my usual 2012 so I can't check that but I did come across a lisp routine that will convert a 3D solid object to a 3D face object if you think that might help.

Hi ReMark, thats what I am trying to do, 3dsolid->3dface (or surface to 3dface) Im open to any routes at the moment, if you could link me to the routine I will try it out, never heard of lisp...

Try this:

1. Explode the 3D Solid to Regions

2. Use the CONVTOMESH command to convert the Regions to a Mesh

3. Explode the Mesh to create the 3D Faces.

Thanks for that! Unfortunately when I use the CONVTOMESH command it simplifies the surface to just a flat rectangle. At the moment the surface is curved and dips downwards, when I CONVTOMESH it changes to something thats completely different i.e a basic rectangle shape......but in saying that when I explode the mesh I do get 3dfaces :P Just that its 4 basic blocks....not ideal when I want to keep the detail :P

Thanks so far guys!!

Hahahha, yea you got me >_

I ran the lisp file and it gave me the following:

Unknown command "MASSELEMENTCONVERT".

I think its because this routine should be run in autocad civil3d, when I was googling this probleme I found some websites that recommended using the masselementconvert feature but in AC Cilvil3d, would I be able to load the model in autocad civil3d then run the lisp? It seems like thats my only option, this has been bugging me for 3 days now 0_0 ...

Hi there,

I'm in a similar dilemma. I have to create a 3D soil profile and so far, I have made surfaces representing each soil type. My problem now is to style the surfaces and make it a 3D solid such that each of the faces can be seen in 3D.