Inches to Feet Conversion

randy3081

I am currently working on Civil Drafting Project Plate 1 and have run into a problem. I am finished drawing the contour lines and have begun to draw Cedar Park Drive. Problem is when I began to locate the points for the street, they were way off of the grid area where the contour intervals are. Thus, I believe this cannot be correct and I have come up with that for some reason, the drawing units must be inches instead of feet. I don't know how this could have happened since I followed the directions for the general setup. Anyway, I know that I could scale up the grid by 12, but that won't explain the reason why this occurred. Does anyone have a better explanation?

Thanks for your time

And you have UNITS set at what?

If I recall correctly the student is told to use Decimal units with the precision set to hundredths' of a foot (two decimal places).

the units are set to decimal hundreths of a foot. When i measure it just says 50.00. It doesn't tell me whether they are inches or feet but im assuming they are inches now.

everything i have found online says to use archictectural units to draw in feet and inches, but i don't see why you can't draw in decimal feet and inches.

As far as I can tell then you are doing it correctly (as per the instructions). The way PF has you set up the drawing there is no way you could input a distance using the symbol as AutoCAD would return the following: Point or option keyword required.

I'm not sure many new students to AutoCAD would know the difference between expressing a distance using architectural feet/inches and decimal feet/inches. Do a quick test. Ask someone you know what the decimal equivalent of 2'-5 1/2" would be.

Maybe you should post a copy of your DWG file so someone here can take a look at it.

Edited by ReMark