Can data be extracted from DWG file?

KE1

I don't have AutoCad, but I was given a DWG that was created in 2007. It is a map of a lake's water depth vs distance in the east and north directions.

Is it possible extract the actual value of water depth from the DWG file? For example the file would contain columns of x-location, y-location, and water depth.

I was able to use a free viewer, CAD2Shape to extract a xyz file from the DWG file. However the xyz information was only the easting/northing location of the depth contours. I could not seem to get to the point-by-point measurements of easting, northing, water depth that went into a shaded color plot of the bathymetry that the DWG file contains.

Extracted? Doubt it. But there area free AutoCAD viewers.

With AutoDesk's True View, you can manually read dimensions from *.dwg and/or *.dxf drawings.

AutoCAD Drawing Viewer 2.0

Copyright © 2009 SkySof Software Inc.

All Rights Reserved

AutoCAD Drawing Viewer is a powerful utility for AutoCAD DWG and DXF files. Features include: View and open drawings, find and replace block attribute values, find and replace text values, turn layers on/off, set layer color, delete block attribute objects and text objects, print drawings, copy drawing to ClipBoard, save drawing as a BMP file, etc.

AutoCAD Drawing Viewer does not require AutoCAD to run and is compatible with all AutoCAD drawing versions.

http://www.skysof.com/

Thanks for all the suggested software! Unfortunately I think the person who made the *.dwg file did a colorplot of [northing, easting, water depth] in another software package to make a color plot, so I won't be able to access the depth info.

A dxf created in autocad 2007 (or lower) should not have true lat/lon coordinate information. Instead its based of off a 0,0 space. you would need to georectify the dxf by use of two control points or a georectified image.