Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• alanjt

• resullins

• BlackBox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My setup:

How do you like the Naga? Do you have it set up for CAD commands on the thumb keys? Does your thumb get tired of hitting buttons?

I've never seen that mouse alan..what is it? Do you have that extra set of F keys setup for anything special?

Mfr. Part #RZ01-00280100-R3U1 - Razer Naga MMOG Laser Gaming Mouse - 5600DPI 3.5G Laser Sensor 1000Hz Ultrapolling (A179208)

$57 online, $70 nearby

My setup:

Logitech G700 Mouse

1288942400.jpg

** Note - The mouse does not have that many buttons, but the mouse supports macros, and the switching of profiles by application detection (i.e., I have a profile for each AutoCAD, Microstation, etc.).

... Logitech G510 keyboard (backlit keys)

school-shopping-tech,W-4-257764-13.jpg

... And Logitech G13 (backlit keys)

3.jpg

** Edit - Guess I should add that we're not allowed to buy our own hardware, and bring in per IT policy, so everything mentioned above is purchased by my employer. ;)

Mouse is a Razer Naga (17 programmable buttons) and the keyboard is an ancient Gateway2000 Anykey (fully programmable with additional 12 F* keys) and yes, I have the F* keys on the left programmed as a few osnaps, my layerisolatetoggle command, a popup list of surface editing tools and a popup list of the point tools in civil 3d (snap to point number, etc.).

The mouse is also programmed for an assortment of frequently used commands. Generally speaking, minus the random command or a one letter alias, I just use the additional set of F* keys, the number keys across the top and the mouse buttons - no onscreen buttons or pulldowns except undo, redo and and my viewport edit/creation toolbar - which i rarely use since MV (mview) creates a viewport and and they added VPCLIP to the right-click menu when selecting viewports.

** Edit - Guess I should add that we're not allowed to buy our own hardware, and bring in per IT policy, so everything mentioned above is purchased by my employer. ;)

That would not go over well, I've been carrying around and using the same keyboard since my first cad job in 2000 and before that it was my gaming keyboard - I've had this thing a long time.

How do you like the Naga? Do you have it set up for CAD commands on the thumb keys? Does your thumb get tired of hitting buttons?

It was a little tough to get used to (bit overwhelming - almost took it back) but now that I've gotten used to it, I love it and have all the thumb buttons programmed.

That would not go over well, I've been carrying around and using the same keyboard since my first cad job in 2000 and before that it was my gaming keyboard - I've had this thing a long time.

I agree, however (/= "Policy" "Happy fun rules everyone likes")

Just curious if I'm the only one with this problem, but no matter what mouse I use, my pinkie just sticks out to the side... and hurts ALL THE TIME! Should I just start taping it up when I draft? Or am I going to have to learn to use one of those cyborg mice from ^up there?

I agree, however (/= "Policy" "Happy fun rules everyone likes")

I'd still bring in and use my keyboard if I worked there. I'll follow policy only to a certain extent.

Just curious if I'm the only one with this problem, but no matter what mouse I use, my pinkie just sticks out to the side... and hurts ALL THE TIME! Should I just start taping it up when I draft? Or am I going to have to learn to use one of those cyborg mice from ^up there?

Mine sits at the bottom and barely grazes the mousepad. One a side note, a good way to increase mouse time is to learn to keep the index finger on the left button, the middle finger on the wheel, the ring finger on the right button, that way you'll never have to move your index finger from left button to wheel and back.

You might be pleasantly surprised how much it could help. I was temporarily forced to switch to a mousey mouse for a short time at a previous employer. I have rather large hands, and the stupid little mouse they gave me was a standard 2-button with a scroll wheel. It was so small that after a couple hours my hand would cramp severely. Two days of that and I told my boss I was bringing a trackball from home, I couldn't take that thing anymore. They fussed about it, but I did it anyway. I would use it, then tuck it away in the drawer when I left for the day. Left the mousey mouse connected and out on the desk at night. After about a month of this, they brought me a new one out and told me to take my "untested and uncertified hardware" home. The one they bought was identical to mine, so I took the new one home and left my old one there. Bad, I know.

You might be pleasantly surprised how much it could help.

I'm sure you're right.... my mouse is perfectly sized to my hand (I have small, girly hands) but my pinkie has no where to go! So it feels like it's "stuck" all the time. I've never tried a trackball, so I'm a little hesitant to go out and buy a $50 mouse... but I would love to get one and play.

Mine sits at the bottom and barely grazes the mousepad. One a side note, a good way to increase mouse time is to learn to keep the index finger on the left button, the middle finger on the wheel, the ring finger on the right button, that way you'll never have to move your index finger from left button to wheel and back.

by changing and using my middle finger to scroll, I notice my pinkie finger sorta hugs the mouse instead of sticking out in dead space.

I'm sure you're right.... my mouse is perfectly sized to my hand (I have small, girly hands) but my pinkie has no where to go! So it feels like it's "stuck" all the time. I've never tried a trackball, so I'm a little hesitant to go out and buy a $50 mouse... but I would love to get one and play.

You can get them as cheap as $20-$25 if you go corded. The cordless ones like mine are up in that range. Got a Best Buy close? They have 3 for under $30, one is only 16 bucks.

Yeah, I've got a Best buy, but no more USB ports... gonna have to go cordless!

I'm sure I'll figure it out! Besides, if I'm gonna teach myself after all these years to use something new, I'm gonna get the fancy, programmable one now so I don't have to learn twice. I bet I've got a buddy that would loan me one to try... I have a lot of drafter buddies.

Yeah, I've got a Best buy, but no more USB ports... gonna have to go cordless!

I'm sure I'll figure it out! Besides, if I'm gonna teach myself after all these years to use something new, I'm gonna get the fancy, programmable one now so I don't have to learn twice. I bet I've got a buddy that would loan me one to try... I have a lot of drafter buddies.

Even the cordless ones need a usb port. That's where the receiver plugs in. Of course, you'll be unplugging the old one, you know.

Sorry, that should say: no more ports that cords will reach. My receiver currently is weeny and the only way a cord would reach it would be to run over the FRONT of my desk. I tried that once... it drove me insane.

Even the cordless ones need a usb port. That's where the receiver plugs in. Of course' date=' you'll be unplugging the old one, you know.[/quote']

they also have the adapter that utilizes the old style round 9 pin keyboard connector as well.

worst case scenario, you could use a usb hub, although I haven't had much success with these.