How do you trim a 3d object at a 45 Degree angle?

dlggnation

Hi,

The SLICE command following a UCS|FACE will do the job. However, I wonder about doing PROJECTION to current plane and height like in INVENTOR.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi,

The SLICE command following a UCS|FACE will do the job. However, I wonder about doing PROJECTION to current plane and height like in INVENTOR.

Nicolas

Why? Looks like a pretty simple Slice in AutoCAD. What would UCS Face have to do with the question?

Attach the Inventor file of your interpretation of the design intent.

Hi,

I have just checked this out in Autocad and I don't know if its a new feature, but there is no need for UCS FACE. I use UCS, drag it to a corner and set the X and Y axis using mouse only. With Slice set to that origin point of the UCS, I enter for example for the second point 600

Need to Project Line

In the second and third jpegs, the projected blue line is the base line for the 45 deg construction line. I first use construction lines to get the corner, use copy edges, apply SLICE first point for that projected line endpoint to a second line

02 Slice From Origin to 600 deg 45.jpg

Regards,

Nicolas.

45 deg 01.jpg

01 Projected Line.jpg

• 3 years later...
IBEAM.jpg Hi, I am new to this Forum , I tried to copy your solutions on how to slice an object using the ucs proper orientation vis a vis to the desired location. when i tried to do that to my 3d I beam using line with length of .35

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

My guess is that you extruded an unclosed POLYLINE, and may have generated a SURFACE

instead of a 3D SOLID.

If you select the OBJECT which you are trying to slice, what does the PROPERTIES box say that it is?

Once you DO HAVE A 3D SOLID with which to work,

using the view as shown in your earlier post, change your visualstyle to 2Dwireframe,

then use the SLICE command, with the DEFINE BY 3 POINTS commandline option.

Then choose the corner vertices of your pyramid (which I circled in my screenshot), and read and follow the commandline prompts to complete the process.

I often use the 3POINT option, because I favor using an isometric view when modeling.

Very simple, once you choose a convenient isometric view, and have a viable 3DSolid to slice.

Ariel, I just noticed that you tagged onto a very old thread, and I thought you were the

original poster. In light of this, the attached view is not about your question,

as much as that of the original poster, back in 2011.

The other information may be right though, if your object isn't a 3D Solid, then what is it?

As ReMark suggested, if you post it, we can quickly help you out.

defining slice by 3 points.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52696[/ATTACH] Hi, I am new to this Forum , I tried to copy your solutions on how to slice an object using the ucs proper orientation vis a vis to the desired location. when i tried to do that to my 3d I beam using line with length of .35

Attach a copy of your drawing (DWG file not an image file) to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

• 4 months later...

hi Nicolas,

saw your post and that is what I am looking for especially the green image where the 4 corners meet.

I am trying to perform that but ijust cannot get it if I follow your step that you posted.

are you able to show me the full procedure?

just a simple 45 degree cut starting from the corner of the bracket.

trying to join 4 frame to form a hollow like what you had shown in the green image.

every detail explaination would be greatly appreciated.

I am using autocad 2016

Cannon.

Hi Cannon,

Please send me the dwg and we can work it together. There are many ways to do a 45 deg. trim depending the geographic form of the profile.

Nicolas

hi Nicolas,

saw your post and that is what I am looking for especially the green image where the 4 corners meet.

I am trying to perform that but ijust cannot get it if I follow your step that you posted.

are you able to show me the full procedure?

just a simple 45 degree cut starting from the corner of the bracket.

trying to join 4 frame to form a hollow like what you had shown in the green image.

every detail explaination would be greatly appreciated.

I am using autocad 2016

Cannon.

Welcome to CADTutor cannon. :)

Using the SLICE command is pretty simple. I tend to create a large circle, centered on one of the points that defines the cutting plane, then Rotate3D by the appropriate angle, in such a case 45 would be appropriate. Then, after you have positioned the circle thusly you can call the SLICE command, and use the Planar Object commandline option. Read and follow the commandline prompts carefully.

But maybe what you are really trying to do is create a frame? If so, the following suggestion may help you.

If you have a drawing of the cross section, which is a Closed Polyline, you can very quickly do this with the SWEEP command, using the PATH option. Create your path, before you start the Sweep command. This technique will not create 4 separate pieces, but a single 3D Solid, which is generated along the rectangular path, as previously described.

SWEEP PATH GENERATED FRAME.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

good morning,

saw your e-mail and that is great,

will try it first, if still in doubt I will send you some dwg.

btw,Nicolas, have 1 more question, will you be able to help me with it ?

it is about cutting certain profile.

rgds,

Cannon

• 6 years later...

I have a stair stringer  (c8X11.5) its at a     35 degree angle and I want to cut the bottom in two directions but when I use the trim command in both directions the other piece shows back up. I tired the cut member command but it cuts to the top of the other channel not the back of the channel

I like to create  a circle large enough to encompass the cutting area, in an ortho orientation.

Then rotate it to the desired SLICE orientation,

and use the SLICE with OBJECT commandline option.

Read the commandline carefully until the end,

as it will guide you.  :beard: