Correcting Contour Gaps

jgamble

Hi,

I'm a complete newb when it comes to AutoCAD, so bare with me. I usually work with ESRI GIS products, but have clients supply me with GIS data in autocad format from time to time.

I have a client who has supplied me with contour data. For whatever the reason, they have cut the contours to allow labelling (see attachement). I need to close these gaps in the contour lines. Is there an 'easy' way to accomplish this in AutoCAD? I have access to AutoCAD2009 at the moment.

The data I need to correct spans a vast amount of area, so completing this manually is just not feasible for me.

Thanks!

J

contours.jpg

so bare with me.

Perhaps nobody wants to take their clothes off in the presence of a stranger :shock:

But back to business. Are you sure that the contours do have gaps? Mtext can have a background mask that hides background detail, and it would be much quicker to do that rather than break all those contours in the first place.

A lot of civil programs do physically break the contour lines rather than just use mtext, although in the OPs image it does look like mtext there. If you had a large number of contours to fix up it would have probably been easier to get whoever produced them in the first place to output them without labels (or if you ned them, without a break).

if they are lines then you can MEND/JOIN then togeater. More likly a ployline that was broken. use grips to drag on end point to the other and use PEDIT select one and JOIN the other. I hope it is just a textmask that makes it look like a break. Grip one side and if the other side is alos highlighted then a textmask has been used and it can be turned off.

Your going down the wrong path you should never use "contour lines" if you can be supplied the original 3d mesh this is far more accurate and then recreate the contour lines as you require. Making models from lines is inherent in not producing the same result.