viewing or converting .shx files in AutoCAD 2012

Nub

I have had a client send me over some information about a site we have out in the middle of nowhere, Australia, and they've sent over the info in a bunch of .shx files. The types are shown as Shape Source and Compiled Shape. So, is there a way for me to change the .shx files to .dwg or .dwf files without downloading a piece of software for $150-250USD without knowing if it really works? I've looked through the forums, but I don't want to convert the files from .shx to .shp because I would have no idea what to do with them then :) I also tried a couple of trial downloads for converters, but for some reason have only found downloads for 32bit machines, whereas I'm working with a 64bit machine, or they don't do what they say they do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you happen to tell the client that you're having a problem with the files he sent you and ask whether you can get the same files in a format you can actually work with?

Post a sample file.

If the files are xxx.shp, xxx.shx, and xxx.dbf (xxx= file name) then they are ESRI format GIS files. You need AutoCAD Map3D or Civil3D to use them.

Thanks guys, ReMark; they're one of those big companies that have a million people to go through before giving me my info- I waited three weeks for these files and they want something done by the end of the week. I have no idea how to post files, I'll figure it out one day :). Thanks Murph_map, I think one of the computers in the office has Civil3D on it, I'll go and commandeer that machine for the day or something.