import coordinates of a 3D model to autocad

green77park

HI Freinds

Any one can help me on my model I try to Draw Transmission Tower with Autocad and I have the coordinates of joints of this model on notepad I try to import it to autocad with many way it not succed any one have an Idea how can I do this and drawing the members (line between joints) easily with autcad 2007 I'll be thank for your help.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• green77park

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• Bill Tillman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you post an example showing the format of the file you're using for import? That may be your trouble. Also, AutoCAD, at least plain AutoCAD, will not import points like 3D Civil or Land versions will. There are however, other options like LISP routines which will import points from a file into your drawing file.

thank you bill for your replay the type is in XYZ in notepad and try with excel space delimit no way same result this is asample of my data

X Y Z

-1.65 -1.65 0

-1.65 1.65 0

-1.575 -1.575 0.95667

-1.575 -1.1 0.95667

-1.575 1.1 0.95667

-1.575 1.575 0.957

-1.5 -1.5 1.91333

thanks freinds for help I try with the lisp ImportXYZ and get the 3d of points (joints) and I try to draw the line between the points it is not work and activate snap to catch the points but it is difficult how can I do this because I new with autocad 3d and the picture show the model in autocad with point

Untitled2.jpg

thank you remark you are right it is work I forget to activate this option good luck but when I draw line is not appear in the window what is the problem the nodes in the zero layer I try to create new layer and see the result

OK ReMark thank for your help No but is this important for my model I'll do it and see what is the diffrence but what is reorient

I relocate the UCS at origin.......

no I dont use 3d polyline I am new with 3d in autocad I try to see some toturials on this comand and see what I can do thanks for your advice for me really you are very helpful

3Dpolylines have some limitations (no arcs) but can be useful. Give them a try.

Me? Helpful? I do what I can. I don't always succeed. At least I try.

Yes, it can be done with a line but the OP appeared to be struggling with that approach so I offered an alternative which the program he is using makes available to him at no additional cost or effort. If he can't do it in AutoCAD (even 2007) then what makes you think he could do it using Inventor Frame Generator?

... then what makes you think he could do it using Inventor Frame Generator?

I said that is what I would use, then linked short tutorial on how to do something similar in AutoCAD.

I also suggested that the OP attach their imported point dwg file so that someone here could see exactly what information he/she has to start with to offer instructions to solve their specific problem rather than a general solution.

I often find that when I look at their actual file that they left out some critical information that is the source of the difficulty.

thanks freinds for your help I try to draw members line line is cost me time what is inventor frame generator program that JD says because I have another model more complecated from that one and I attach the file

elad2.dwg

One thing to watch out for - Layer 0 is your active layer - and turned off.

Anything you create snapping to those nodes will not be visible because your layer is not visible.

Also - this thing is mostly symmetrical.

I would put all but one leg on a hidden layer to clear up the screen.

For the arms I would only have one side visible while working on that geometry.

Looks like a pretty easy (but tedious in AutoCAD) problem.

Is this real work - or a school assignment?

Edited by JD Mather

Is this a school assignment? Could you please answer this question???

You're struggling as it is using AutoCAD. Do you really have the time to learn a new program? If this is for work then perhaps you do. JDM can give you all the particulars about the program.

Have you followed any of his advice yet? What have you accomplished so far? Can you post a DWG file?

Edited by ReMark

Without making any changes to your drawing other than turning Layer "0" on, as previously mentioned by JDM, and adding "nodes" to my OSnap settings I was able to quickly draw a line from node to node without a problem. The only thing I can see that would be a problem for me is that I am not all that familiar with the construction of one of these towers (yes, I've seen them in the woods and along highways) and I might therefore draw a line between two nodes that would be incorrect as I'm guessing you sort of want to this to look like a 3D wireframe model. TA bit time consuming? Maybe. Impossible? No.

Here's my feeble attempt. Looking at all those dots after getting up at 3:30 a.m. hurts my eyes!:ouch::lol:

Tower.dwg

Saved in AutoCAD 2007 file format.

I left you a message at your profile. When you get a moment go read it.

Good night.

Edited by ReMark

yes I worked on a thesis on optimization of transmission tower and I want to create 3d model to enter this model to sap2000 and make compare the results with a program work in fortran and how can I dicrease the displacement of the top lets say put constraint for displacement minimization and this program work with genatic algorithm and to minimize the sections use minimum section my problem the 3d model and saw the difficulty thank you freinds for your help.....

Edited by green77park