start up question / profile

RocketSurgeon

Every time I open AutoCAD, I have to go to options/profiles, and choose my profile from the available list.

Why does it not remember my profile/workspace settings automatically?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RocketSurgeon

• BlackBox

• tzframpton

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could it be forced via a startup switch added to the shortcut properties?

Maybe, I didn't know that was an option, so...I experimented. Two different shortcuts opens it two different ways, neither of which is my profile.

If I choose one of my files to open, and let autocad open this way, it will open with my profile already loaded.

Can I set it up so I don't have to open autocad via a file to get the desired results?

Go to your AutoCAD Help file and search on "Startup switch". There should be a list of all the recognized startup switches for the program/version you are running. Most likely one of those will be the option. I think that might be one possible way to address the problem. There may be others but I'm not smart enough to say I know them. Sorry.

I forgot to ask...did you make your profile "current" via the Options > Profiles > Set Current button?

yes, but I tried again to be sure. no luck.

What is it that you do not understand? How to add the switch? What a particular switch does? Other?

The switch in question is the /p, but I don't know where/how to add this switch correctly, to accomplish my task.

Where do I enter this string... "drive:pathname\acad.exe" ["drawingname"] [/switch "name"]

and how do I know there my acad.exe file is located?

Right click on your application icon (or a copy of), and select properties. On the Shortcut tab, add the desired profile switch "/p" to the Target field.

Civil 3D Sample:

"[color=red]<FilePath>[/color]\acad.exe" /ld "[color=red]<FilePath>[/color]\AecBase.dbx" /p "[color=red]<ProfileName>[/color]"

how do I know there my acad.exe file is located?

From within the desired version of AutoCAD ;):

(findfile "acad.exe")

** Edit - Paste this at the command line, and hit enter.

Right click on your application icon (or a copy of), and select properties. On the Shortcut tab, add the desired profile switch "/p" to the Target field.

Civil 3D Sample:

"[color=red]<FilePath>[/color]\acad.exe" /ld "[color=red]<FilePath>[/color]\AecBase.dbx" /p "[color=red]<ProfileName>[/color]"

One of my shortcuts, the Target field was not changeable. The other shortcut was. I believe I was able to correct my situation. It worked once. I'll try it over the next day or two and see if all is well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

In my opinion, every serious CAD user should know where to find certain program files (.exe, .pat, .pgp, .lin, .lsp, etc.), be able to edit the properties of their shortcut icon, and know how to type a path. The more you know the better off you are.

Glad to hear that you have solved your problem for the time being. Let us know how things work out.

In my opinion, every serious CAD user should know where to find certain program files (.exe, .pat, .pgp, .lin, .lsp, etc.), be able to edit the properties of their shortcut icon, and know how to type a path. The more you know the better off you are.

Glad to hear that you have solved your problem for the time being. Let us know how things work out.

Your opinion sounds condescending. I'll say thank you again, and I'll leave it alone.

Mark, probably the reason why he couldn't edit one icon but could the other icon was due to not having Admin rights. Say, if he's at work. I have that problem. Once the admin installs everything on my computer I have to then make copies of my icons and create my command switches as I cannot edit the original.

And Mark, also remember, we all had to start somewhere. We can't know it all from the get-go!! :thumbsup:

probably the reason why he couldn't edit one icon but could the other icon was due to not having Admin rights. Say, if he's at work. I have that problem. Once the admin installs everything on my computer I have to then make copies of my icons and create my command switches as I cannot edit the original.

An example of this on Windows 7, is when application icons, folders, etc. are located at C:\Users\Default\Desktop\, or C:\Users\Public\Desktop\. For our corporate Windows "profile" users are NOT given write-access to these locations, yet anything contained within them is displayed on the user's desktop.

I simply attempted to help clarify the potential root as to why the OP's application icon(s) could not be modified; I am not involved in, nor have I commented on, tangent topics.

Cheers! :beer: